Max Torque on AOD?

BlownMerc

How much torque can a stock AOD handle with a shift-kit? I reciently snaped the input-shaft at the converter housing, and there is a crack running down the shaft into the trans itself. So is there a max torque figure that these trans can handle before beefing up the internals? If I remember correctly (i don't have the sheet in front of me) I think the car make like 360ft-lb.
Thanks,
Brad

P.S. when will the damn thing stop breaking?!?!:D

Does anybody have any idea on the Torque Figure? They said it broke due to excess torque. Maybe I'm over the thought of 350-360.

I'd say 400 ft/lbs is about all it can handle but it also depends on how you use it. If all the power is going through the tranny, meaning if you're running slicks or the likes, it is going to stress the whole drivetrain more than street tires and cause it to break. With the stock input shaft you can throw some serious power at it but you should get a non lock up converter and it will relieve some of the stress.

Stock or?

Assuming a performance rebuild, 2" OD band and with an aftermarket billet input shaft and a non lockup convertor, you won't be breaking the AOD with the SC motor.

As far as a stock AOD... How lucky are you?

Brad,

The part that usually breaks is the inner or 3-4 input shaft. I know of several guys who have broken or twisted the shaft. It usually happens on a hard shift into 3rd. I replaced mine with a hardned one from Lentech. A non locking converter will also smooth the shift into 3rd. Since installing a non-locking converter mine won't chirp third unless I'm really standing on it.

Some of the other brand name converters require replacing the stock two shaft system with a single solid shaft. Other than input shafts the only other area that is know to be weak would be the OD band. Using a kevlar band or changing a few parts to allow using a wider band will help, but avoiding WOT throttle shifts into
OD is the only real solution.

Here is a link to Lentech. They can probably answer all your AOD questions.

http://www.lentechautomatics.com/

David

Thanks the guy who is doing the rebuild said it broke the input shaft in three places. I was looking at the Art Carr inner shaft how good is that? I want to ask the trans guy if he has one since he does hi-po work. I hope this will help. The car shifts hardest into 2nd and 3rd is decient with the Art Carr kit. It broke on the 1-2 shift at about 1/4 throttle. If i had known this was a weak spot I would have fixed it at the last rebuild 30K ago. Thanks for the help ya'll.
Brad:D :cool:

Back