blower changes from 89 to 92..????

bigcat

I picked up a 92 blower to replace the one on my '89 and noticed it has some sort of spring loaded mechanism between the pulley and rotors while the 89 blower seems to be a direct drive (though it has a little slop in it)

To describe, if I hold the rotors (screws) of the 92 supercharger I can turn the pulley 5-10 degrees in the direction of rotation against some sort of spring force. At the end of this 5-10 degrees it reaches the limit of what I assume is some internal spring loaded 'cushioning' drive and turns the rotors directly

On the 89 blower if I hold the rotors I can only feel a little bit of slop in the pulley that is due to 175k+ miles.

Can someone confirm that the newer blowers (though still pre-94) have some sort of torsional spring loaded drive? (I'm guessing to keep engine torsional vibrations from being transfered to the gears/rotors of the blower for improved reliability.)
Thanks in advance

drive puck

On the blower there is a coupler that joins the blower to the nose drive.Originally the blowers had a spring loaded coupler to dampen harmonics,if your blower has been serviced it probably has been replaced by solid puck shaped material with 6 holes in it to couple the units together!

Back