Brake Help...Please Advise quickly

TBSCoupe

Hey all,
I changed out my rear breaks today (WHAT A FREAKIN MISSION) and went for a test spin. On the ABS test, I was shocked when the pedal went right to the floor and the car went to the right. After an inspection under the hood, I found a fluid leak with a busted hose. What hose is this so I can find it at AutoZone. It is a large size rubber hose that comes right off the reservoir. All help wecomed
Regards,
TBSCoupe

Attachments

• mvc-837f edit.jpg
    mvc-837f edit.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 180
That is the hose that directs fluid from the reservior to the ABS Pump. Any brake fluid compliant hose of the correct size should be useable in this application. There is no pressure in that hose so that is not of concern.

Better plan to bleed you brake system though after you do the repair.

You should have lights....at the least the Red Brake Light since you probably have no pressure in the system a a low level in the reservoir if this hose is ruptured.

Thank you all for your replies....Does anyone know the size of this line? It is a "better get it fixed before 12:00PM tomorrow or I will be taking the day off work on Monday."
Regards,
TBSCoupe

Thanks all for the help. After getting in there, I found that infact it wasn't the ABS bypass, but it was the hard line that had a hole rubbed in it.
I cut out the hole and replaced it with a compression fitting.

Attachments

• mvc-841f.jpg
    mvc-841f.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 136
Very Clever.. But I can't help but notice that looks like a brass fitting like what you'd find at the plumbing department. Usually brake fittings are steel. Remember, brake lines hold pressure of 400+ PSI. Water lines are considereably less. Of course, its also possible that that's a low pressure line..

I'd keep an eye on it for leaks and especially test it with some hard braking; keep a fire extinguisher handy until you're sure its going to hold up OK.. (No, I'm not kidding). Brake fluid is flamable and due to the precarious location of the HCU, its easy for it to contact the exhaust manifold if it were to leak. Could quicly ruin your day.
I'm not trying to scare you, but anything like that you need to keep an eye on. Check it at least once a week.

plus its illegal to repair a vehicle like that, tons of warnings against it;)

replace the line as soon as possible, I would

Back