couple questions

tbird79

First off did the 5 speed shifter rebuild today, and it went really well. Makes a huge difference.

My first question is how do u tell if you have clogged cats? Mine are starting to really smell when they get warmed up. Would that be a symptom? I am gonna have them removed anyways pretty soon, but was just curious.

Second question was when I get up to speed on the highway i find my steering to be a little loose and the steering wheel likes to sort of move back and forth maybe a half an inch. Would this be an alignment issue?

Thanks for any help
Joe

No need to shout bud.

The cats arent the main reason, as I understand it... the Resonator is the biggest choke point in an already restrictive exhaust. You can try removing the cats if you want, but you may not pass emissions testing like that. Sorry I dont have any other insight on if they've gone bad or not.

When you bang on the cat with a rubber hammer, if you hear anything rattling inside, then the cat is bad and possibly blocking your exhaust so the pressure will go back to your cylinder head and could cause your head gasket to blow. So both of the earlier answers are correct because the resonator is very restrictive and you should concider replacing it with an after market resonator. I tried just cutting mine out and replaced it with a pipe and got a buzzing sound under my seat. Good luck

clogged cats

Ill get under there and see if the cats are rattling around inside and let u guys know. There is no emissions testing here so in the next couple weeks I am gonna get the cats cut out and probbaly put in a magnaflow resonator for starters.

Thanks guys

btw: real good tech article on the shifter rebuild by jgipson.

Back