Head gasket job almost done. But have ??

91BLOWNSC

Alright, I was reading through the posts on here about putting sealant on the short head bolts. I checked and double checked them (holes for the short bolts) and they DO NOT break into the water jackets. None of them do. So tell me why people put it on there. We have did the heads before on a N/A 3.8, where it is required....but on the SC, they do not break into the water jackets. Am I just blind? or what?

umm..

Yeah new bolts. But its to late cause its already done. But we check Each and every single short bolt hole and we can touch the bottom. it does NOT go into the water jackets, and besides that, there was no sealant on the old ones we took out. Just scaring me everyone says to use it.

I believe that the book is wrong, and I want to correct it! I know that Scott Long never used sealant, and neither did AssClown and they were fine.

Last edited:
out of the dozen or so SC blocks I've done NONE so far I've seen the lower bolts break into water jackets, I just use oil and torque them down, EVERY single N/A 3.8 I've seen on the outer lower bolts breaks into the water jacket

Re: umm..

91BLOWNSC said:

I believe that the book is wrong, and I want to correct it! I know that Scott Long never used sealant, and neither did AssClown and they were fine.

damn you beat me to it:(

AHHH

Thank you god. I am not insane! I to have replaced both, and only the N/A needed the sealent. Its nice to know I am fine then. People kept scaring my on this board. Thanks man!

I didn't use any sealant. But then again I didn't go "by the book" on mine. I used the head bolt torque sequence from the Haynes manual when we put my heads back on. I haven't fired up the beast yet but I think it'll be fine. My other friend who helped me w/ the rebuild just did his before we started working on my car and I don't think he used any sealant on his bolts. I think you'll be fine.

I guess Ford has crappy machining or casting and they believe they might of over-drilled and went too far?. I just use a rubber tipped air nozzle and presurize the bolt holes and look into each with a light just to make sure. If you even had a block with a hole I doubt it'll leak past the aluminum head (*duh i typed block before * )and the steel washer of the head bolt(forms a fairly tight seal, minor leakeage at most), might get rusty head bolts though :D.

Last edited:
hmm..

Well we just did a full rebuild of my engine, and let me tell you, its been a long and ongoing process because were dragging it on over winter (or have been). And tonight, we checked all the lower bolt holes to see if we needed the sealent, and we didn't (becuase we had for a N/A 3.8). So we went on, got EVERYTHING together almost (the engine isn't in the car yet though) and i get online and read about you HAVE to use sealent. And im like oh *S*hit. I couldn't figure out why!

Anyways, thanks for the replies from both of you. Made me feel MUCH better :). I wouldn't wanna tear this thing down again, how dreadful.

Back