Just blew headgaskets have ?? on injectors & mods

Shockwave

I blew my headgaskets on my 89 SC with 103,000 miles Friday. This is my second headgasket replacement experience on a SC. The first was on my nephew's last year. His blew #3 and mine blew #4, but #3 was on it's way with a distorted fire ring. I really babied this car since I have had it. The gaskets look like they were just falling apart. If you have original Ford gaskets you are on borrowed time trust me. I was one of those guys who thought they would blow only if you overheated the engine. Mine blew at 20 mph at 1800 rpm. I have really babied this car for the 2.5 years I have owned it.

head.jpg

If anybody wants to comment or make recommendations please do so. I have the heads off and will be making decisions this week on what to do. I want to do some upgrades at this time so this is what I am thinking about doing:

I would like to do some larger injectors. Thinking about some 38 lb injectors and a orange sample tube for my C&L 76mm maf. What brand do you guys recommend? Also who has the best price?

A while back I bought a 94 Mustang BBK 75mm throttle body. I have to mod the linkage, but that will be going on. I have also purchased a 10% pulley that will be going on as well.

I will be installing some 95 Mustang 3.8 headers modded on the drivers side. I am still not sure what I want to do with the rest of the exhaust. A friend came up with a unique idea. He has a 90 Formula 350 Firebird so you know where he is coming from. He suggested installing a 3" large high flow CAT where the res would go, then 3" past the tank and two 2.5" mufflers. On his firebird he did something simular except he stayed 3" all the way back to a 40 series Flowmaster. His CAT is under the pass side floorboard next to the seat so it's not that close to the engine either. Placing a CAT where our res is would keep it from getting hot very quickly, but it may work.

I was thinking dual 2.5" CATS and then a Borla 40349 dual 2.5" in 3" out muffler, 3" tank section then either just pipe or add two 2.5" mufflers.

By the way, I just passed emissions so I am good for two years.

I don't like the oil pressure idiot gauge so I want to do that mod. What model car used the sending unit part number listed in the mod? Should I buy the Ford part or can this be bought at any parts store? My 89 has the 20 ohm resister on the wire close to the sending unit so it would be easy to do this mod now.

Thanks to PJ (Thunder Flee) for coming to my rescue ,and helping me with the gaskets and the Mustang headers. SC guys are the best.

Jerry

Without knowing all of your mods, I would suggest a good port and polish of the heads. May as well if you can afford it. I think this would go well with upgraded exhaust and the pulley. Anything done to the blower yet? Get that ported too if the wallet allows. As far as everything else you have listed, it looks pretty good for matching everything to flow well. I am not a fan of BBK parts, but to each his own. I guess there are alot of options for exhaust too so as long as it flows way better then stock, when you put on the 10% pulley, you won't be doing this hideous job again. Good luck with your project.

Matt

Sounds pretty good.

I would definitely recommend ARP studs for the heads. Makes it a little tricky pulling the heads on the driver's side, but they're a lot better than "stretchy bolts" when it comes to protecting the gaskets. :p

Lee

ARP head studs are something you should for sure get. I'm doing them on my car when I do the head gaskes this weekend.

Back