Does anyone have pic. n ford no.s for m5R2?

windstarpro

Im going into this thing, and I don't have time during the week to talk to the ford guys. Does anyone know what the endplay is supposed to be assembled at the inputshaft?
Dave
MM3-N USN

updated, late early??

Im seeing things for late, early, and updated parts. I saw specificly an updated 3rd gear synchro ring. I need three gear sliders as it is, so is there a certain 'revision' I should be looking for, or just get replacement parts? Also, if I were to shim the input shaft, can I do it at the cover behind the inputshaft bearing race? Should Ford have these shims?
Dave
MM3-N USN

Jeez Dave, what year M5R2 is it? Did it come out of your car (as in same year) or did you get it from somewhere else? How would anyone know if you need late, early, or revised without any info? Early could mean '89-'93 and late '94-'95, revised is I don't know. The Ford manuals go into detail, I got mine for $20 on Ebay.

I'm sitting here looking at the info you need on input shaft endplay shim thickness selection and there's no way you'll figure it out without the pictures.

Dimension A: Height of input shaft bearing outer race above transmission front bearing cover mating surface.

Dimension B: Depth of front cover outer race bore (input shaft).

Dimension C: Depth of coutershaft front bearing race (transmission case to front cover mating surface).

*To determine input shaft end play shim thickness, proceed as follows:

a. Measure dimensions A and B.

b. Subtract A from dimension B. Then, add 0.05-0.15 mm (0.002-0.006 inch). This will equal the required shim thickness.

c. Refer to the Input Shaft Shim Selection Chart to select the proper shim. (there's no way I'm typing all that, if you figure it out tell me the numbers and I'll tell you the shim size).

*To determine countershaft end play shim thickness, proceed as follows.

d. Measure dimension C. Then, subtract 0.15-0.25 mm (0.006-0.010 inch). This will equal required shim thickness.

e. Refer to the Countershaft Shim Selection Chart to select the proper shim.

Why some people try to do things like this without a repair manual is beyond me.

Vernon

Back