Drilled too far getting HB out, hit crank gear....

phils89sc

I know, stupid me can't judge distance with a drill bit. Well, I looked at the gear and I hit it pretty good in several spots and don't want to take a chance on running the car and having the gear come apart on me.

So now I have decided to replace the Timing set. Hell, at 230K miles, I might as well right?

I guess what my main question is, how involved is the process of removing the timing cover? Do I have to remove all the accessories again (I did when I changed my motor mounts)? What about the camshaft position sensor?

Thanks

Phil

Why would I have to remove the OIL PAN??

That seems kinda unnecessary doesn't it? Why would the oil pan have to come off as well? Are you sure about that? What part of the timing cover requires the removal of the oil pan?

Thanks

Phil

You should be able to get it off without removing the oil pan. It was done on my friend's 94 SC with no problem...

hey patera, i have a cougar torn apart in my back yard. it seems i followed directions and dropped the oil pan when i didn't need to. added a few days to my project. i am in desperate need of something better than haynes. i have a helm book on the wa, but i would really appreaciate it if you could scan a few of those pages for me. maybe anything with the timing chain cover and oil pan. thanks.

-jayson

35th T-bird SC said:
Why were you drilling to get the balancer off?
Also how in the world did you hit the crank gear with the cover and stuff covering it up? Are you sure its the crankgear you got into? I just dont see how you can do that without without crossdrilling the cranksnout and if thats what happened the crank is toast.:confused:

Back