Are my head gaskets blown?

Hellraizer547

I just started thinking that i might have blown my headgaskets. I haven't driven my car for about 3 months because it is all in pieces and i don't have the money to get the parts i need. Anyways, the last time i drove it i only got about 160 miles on a close to a full tank (i think). My car would also have some trouble starting and i remember at one point i saw very little smoke coming out of the hood, so i popped the hood and saw very faint smoke rising. I only put the car to 5k rpms twice, and i hardly drove it hard. Does this sound like i have blown head gaskets? I also ran out of antifreez pretty quick at that point, and i did have an antifreez leak.

Sergio

Very possible, if you are losing coolant and you don't see it leaking anywhere chances are it's leaking into the engine.
goodluck
joe

hmm.

Smoke coming out of the hood? Thats not a sign of blown head gaskets usually, thought I guess it could do a severe degree. Usually you get a lot of white smoke out the tail pipes, you lose coolant, but its not leaking onto the ground (like you said), cold air out of the vents, or bubbling of the coolant in the resevoir. I don't think gas milage has anything do do with that. You car would run really piss poor with blown gaskets. Check your oil and make sure its not "grey" in color which would also mean blown head gaskets. Or change your oil, the coolant would be the first to flow out. you mentioned smoke coming out from under your hood. It could be that you DO have a leak of antifreeze and its hitting something like your exhaust downtubes and burning ip before you hit the ground.

Now that i do think about it, my coolent was leaking onto the manifolds. Right now what i'm doing is getting my raditor checked for leaks, changing all the coolent lines, i just finished up with the whole power steering system, rebuilding the supercharger, already chenged the O2 sensors, and i'm changing the spark plugs and wires along with electrical things. I also just remembered right before i started working on my SC on the last tank when it got 160 miles that tank it was running like ****, i mean it seemed very sluggish. So is this another hint of blown headgaskets. I hope it isn't:)

Sergio

Back