Polishing My Rims

stephens89sc

fastsc92, i did a search on polished rims and i saw the pic of what u did. id like to know the steps you took from begining to end if possible

and anyone else with info on how to do it would be greatly appreciated.

im guessing that ishould go and buy some paint stripper to remove the paint for starters?

it is one pain in the behind. Trust me. Each rims takes a little over 12 hours of solid work...so you better set aside at least a week to do this. First you have to strip down the paint. I used a chemical stripper. Then you need to start sanding. Do it by hand, any power tools cant get in there anyways and may mess up the final results. I start with coarse emory paper, then medium emory paper, then fine emory paper. Then i wetsand 220, 320, 400, 600, then i use 0000 steel wool, then i use a high speed buffer with some rubbing compound, and i finish it off with 3 coats if Blue Magic polish on a high speed cotton wheel. Like I said it takes a while. The first step is the worst because the rims are cast and it takes hours to get the casting marks out. The metal is also very hard. If you are not willing to go through a lot of pain and time and sweat, then dont bother. If someone is close enough to me, I am willing to show them how to do it one on one. Someone asked me if i wanted to do their, but when you break it down....i'd only be getting like 8 bucks an hour to do it. Not really worth my time for the money i'd be making. It is a pain, but it comes out very nice. I also polished my center caps to match.

i have stripped the wheels but im having trouble, the paint remover isnt taking it down to the aluminum it stopes at the green layer..... do i need a stronger remover?

i used a razor blade on mine and kept reapplying the paint remover and scraping the razor blade, then started sandign away.....mine were xr7 rims though, they seen like they would be easier to do than the supercoupe ones.

Jeff

you really have to push down hard and get up all the base coat stuff. I used a 1 inch putty knife. Keep at it, and it'll come up. I forgot some steps also. After you putting on the rubbing compound....you want to go out and get some rouge. Get three steps...and 3 different grit wheels. Then you want to finish it off with the polish. Good luck buddy....once you start sanding...you cant turn back and it'll seem like a nightmare until all the casting marks are sanded out.

Back