Got boost, but No Go sometimes.

chepdog

Well here it goes, i bought a 1994 SC 5 spd 106,000k, its in good condition it seems. I havent done nothing to it since i bought it, but here is my problem; i know for a fact that my fuel pump is making a hummmming noise (needs replacing) i'll go with the 255lph. I was wondering, will this cause power loss at high boost? im smashing through first, second and third gears and the cars boost at about 12-14psi, rpms's high but the car is hardly moving, i thinking that my cats are either clogged or there is something holding the power and not letting go, any suggs. The guy who had it put a new air filter and fuel filter. Id appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
:confused:

Fresno huh....

I use to live south of Fresno for a few years...I make it down sometimes to see old friends and yes I was at the Naval Air Station, I was a Marine stationed there...We should hook up next time I make a run down...ANYWAY...

Sounds like you have some mixed issues to me...You never mentioned a Check eng. light...Could still have sensor issues though even without a light...

Clogged cats....I had a set of clogged cat and a FULL resonator and it was consitantly sluggish though all gears..."Very Noticable" muffled exh. compared to norm as well...If you reach max boost earlier than normal that could be a sign as well...You should be modding your exh first anyways...Get that done regardless:cool:

Fuel pump...No surprise if it is bad, it could be the problem or a combination of the two possabilities...

Now...This may not be the problem, but I did exp. this myself...I had a "KNOWN" bad TPS on my 5spd90SC and the car would almost perform normal in the lower gears making it less noticable as far as pwr. BUT...When I was on the Hwy passing/accelerating there was a VERY noticable pwr. loss, very similar to what you described...I put the new TPS on and the car behaved normal again...Just an idea if all else fails...

I think I would check my fuel pressure, if it is good then the pump may not be bad...The exh. should be done regardless...If it were me I would run codes before I did anything else...It is the simplest thing to do anyway...

mail: cudaz101@yahoo.com

Brad

Well if I am reading this correctly you are saying that your engine seems to be running fine but the car isn't moving. I mean running at 3500 rpm on the freeway and only doing 40 miles an hour? If the rpms don't match what the cars speed should be then it can only be the clutch.

The car runs good if i dont get on it, but once i smash on it, it seems that the boost goes up pretty quick and the car doesnt move like the ones ive had before, i also had the same idea that A. Pedroza said (the clutch) it might be slipping , but i guess i'll go get a diognosis on it first before anything else. thanks guys for the feedback.

An easy way to see if the cats have had their last meow is to go underneath and tap them. If you hear noise like something other than the heatshield is loose, it may the the catalyst inside.. indicating a bad cat.

If your clutch is slipping you'd see your RPM's go up but the car wouldn't accelerate at the same rate the Tach goes up.

I'd be concerned if you really think that something is holding the car back.

Non critical causes: Brake Caliper hanging up. Intake restricted somehow, hose caved, or a very dirty filter.

Critical Causes:
Plugged exhaust. This can cause excessive heat and pressure at the exhaust ports with inevitable head gasket failure.

Insufficient Fuel Flow. This can cause detonation and damage your pistons and valves as the engine is running very lean.

Better get it figured out.

The guy whom i bought it from changed the air and fuel filter so i know those are clean. I think im gonna change the fuel pump very soon now, i have the feeling that, that is the problem since the pump is emmiting a hummmmmmmmmming noise. A well known mechanic told me that the fuel pump chokes when i get on the gas and thats why im having these problems and also told me that the exhaust was probably clogged somewhere, im gonna check it out and see what happens. Unless there is anybody in California whos willing to give me a hand in solving my problem, right now im too busy at work to do anything. I'll pay a good SC mechanic decent money; shops around town tend not to know anything about these cars. My number is (559) 291-1511 ask for Jose.

question

i had a similar problem with my car...well atleast from what i read....does it feel like its running on 4 cylinders? when mine was doing that, the boost would build quick as hell, but i got no power...the items i replaced were the fuel filter, tps, plugs, plug wires, O2 sensors, coil, and DIS...when i put the DIS in, it ran perfectly....not saying that could be your problem....just given you some info....hopefully it helps..

Back