HELP!! How do I remove the timing cover on 89 SC?

phils89sc

I have to remove the timing cover to replace my timing chain and sprockets on my 89 SC due to drilling too far to remove the old broken Harmonic Balance.

In a previous post I was told that I had to remove all the accessories and the OIL PAN!! Why would I have to remove the oil pan? I don't think that can be done while the engine is in the car can it? Is it true that the pan must come off?

I would rather sell the car than pull the engine!!

Thanks

Phil

Pan doesn't have to come off. You do have to take all the accesories off and there are a couple of bolts you have to take off the pan but the cover will slide off without dropping the pan. When you do it, if you don't find a allen screw then you haven't got all the bolts off yet. I broke mine trying to work it loose only to find out that there was still one more bolt.

Looks like you don't have to pull the pan. I said that because the manual states the pan has to drop. If you are carefull you can do it without dropping the pan.

How badly did you hit the gear? was it a surface scratch or did you go deep? Either way flush the oil pan real well before you start the car, you don't want any of the drilling chips in the engine.

This is a pain in the A$$ job, but it's not something that can't be done at home.

Aaron

Back