Cup Holder Modification

S

SeanMatteson

Cup Holder Modification

Hi gang!

Once I determined that my brakes were OK, I set to work modifying one of those Taurus cup holder/coin tray assemblies and installed it in my car.

Follow this link if you'd like to see some pics:

ca.photos.yahoo.com/bc/ma...=ph&.view=

I think I still need to move the stops back a bit further on the cup holder, as a large cup of coffee would be a real squeeze right now (against the heater controls), but otherwise everything looks and works great.

Thanks very much to Bill and Les for grabbing me one of the parts they scavenged from Dominion Auto Wreckers a couple of weeks back. I was happy to pay you guys the money for this treat! Now I just have to figure out where to park my cell phone while I drive.

Best regards,

Re: Cup Holder Modification

Wanna let us know how the hell you got that things past those huge ugly heavy wiring harnesses? Paul said to lift them up then slide the holder into place and let them rest on top of the holder.

Les,

I just played with the wire runs that were in the way, and the unit slid in very nicely. The trays slide in and out just fine now. I just think I'm going to have to move the new stops back a bit further on the cup holder to allow it to come out some more. Another 1/2" should work nicely.

Did you already modify and install yours?

Regards,

BTW, Bill said he felt it would be impossible to ever get that assembly to sit level, without it tilting slightly forward. Mine sits just fine, but I had to cut that tab off the bottom rear of the housing before sliding it into the dash. Also, in switching the trays around, I found that the tracks in the sides were worn differently. I found that the cup holder wouldn't pop out under the spring pressure when you clicked the release. I remedied this by stretching the spring a little. Also, I put a little bit of grease on the sliders. One other thing, I had to remove the little braces that come out when you slide out the cup holder tray and drop down to accept the bottom of your cup. When you insert this tray into the top slot in the housing, these braces want to drop slightly when the tray is in, and then they don't allow the tray to release the next time you press the button.

I like this mod so much that I might talk to Ed about buying a brand new unit from Ford. Bill was telling me that they are still available. I'm already going to have to put an extra set of holes in the cup holder tray on the one I've got right now. It was a good learning experience though.

Cheers,

Bill and I could not get that thing in for the life of us. Maybe one day you can give me a hand Sean and get the damned thing in.

Stupid question but why would you pay some insane price for a new cup holder assemby when we got those ones for 5 bucks a piece at the wreckers. They look like new when cleaned up.

Bill is on his way out to my place right now. I'll show him what I've done.

Cheers,

Sean

Les,

Sean definetly made it work, and beautifully I might add. It seems like he had more room, the way the tray casing just goes in and out with ease. Next we'll try it on my car, and then back to the Couger!

Looks very stock though, tasteful mod.

Back