Non-A/C Belt for 89 SC

jlukas007

I have a 89 SC that I have taken the AC out of it. I need to know what size belt I would need since I don't have the AC hooked up anymore. Also what kind of replacement belts do you suggest I buy?

Thanks,
Jason

Well, if you have an AC delete pulley then it is the same size. Otherwise I think you need one with the belt configuration.

I guess don't understand why some folks don't just simply unplug the compressor when they decide they don't want A/C anymore. As long as the clutch isn't energized, only the compressor pulley itself is turning, not the compressor. Normally, it should spin freely not adding any more or less load to the engine than any other idler pulley. If you take the belt off and spin it by hand, it should be next to nothing. I guess one benefit would be that you might save 15 lbs of weight, but thats about it.

There isn't a belt you can buy to bypass the compressor. Look at the way it's routed. The only way is to use the idler pulley or just leave the compressor there. If the bearing in the compressor is toast then you can buy a new clutch (don't know if it's available) or the idler pulley.

Jeff

the other advantage to the a/c delete idler is being the ability to change no. 4 and 5 spark plugs from the top :D

things you should know:
you must slot the back hole in order for the bracket to bolt up correctly.
you must also cut 2 ribs off your accesory belt.

there's the cheepist place i found the pully

A/C Delete Pulley

ford p/n E7TZ-8678-D
motorcraft p/n: YS-159

price: about $30.00 (29.xx)
http://www.genuine-ford-parts.com/

I changed all my plugs from the top, none were hard to get to. You just have to use a socket wrench and a flex joint and a 2 inch extension. Also a 3 foot hose to gently thread the plugs back in.

The A/C is driven off the main serpentine belt. If you cut 2 rows off that, according to my calculations, you loose 2/8 or 25% of the gripping power of the main drive belt. So the 75% thats left will certainly wear out sooner and possibly slip. ;)

the first link mentioned is for a 7.3 powerstroke idler its 8-rib but it wont bolt up to a sc

the second link is for a 6-rib unit

any real 8 rib idlers out there?

None are a "bolt in", both would have to be modified. Check with the dealer you might be able to buy the pulley for the 8rib and the bracket for the 6 rib. Personally I would just buy the 8 rib and modify it to fit.

Jeff

i consider having to oblong a bolt hole different from drilling/taping the bracket or making a adapter plate

plus the 8-rib is 75.00 the dealer wont sell me just a pully vs.

29.00 for the 6-rib

now i just have to find the part# for a gatorback belt in stock lenth but 6-rib;)

Are you changing all the other pulleys to 6 Rib. Just wondering because if your other pulleys are not 6 Rib and you are using a 6 Rib belt on them you can expect the belt to snap very very frequently.

Guys, 6 ribs is JUST FINE! I have been running 6 ribs for several years now with NO problems. What do you need the extra gripping power for? Hmmmm, A/C?? Yep, that's it. Tell me this, how do the N/A 3.8's get away with 6 ribs? Not to mention they are also running a mechanical fan off that belt. Don't worry about it. It took me all of about 2 min to slice off the 2 extra ribs with a razor blade.

quote from xr7 dave (from different thread)

Why on earth would the 6 rib belt give out? I've been running mine for 4 years and a good 40K now. The only reason it was 8 ribs in the first place was for the A/C which you don't have anymore. Besides, the N/A bird only needed 6 and it was spinning a clutch fan as well as A/C.

dang xr7 dave beat me to it :)

I was talking about running a 6 rib belt on an 8 rib pulley. Might be different on an acc. pulley, but every car I have seen where the owner put a belt with less ribs reulted in the belt shredding. But this was normaly an Alt. belt.

a belt with fewer ribs than the pulley won't cause ANY problems. there were other factors involved, like he was one tooth off on another pulley.

Jeff

Back