i/c tube seals

Thrty5thSC

I got a fel-pro intake gasket set that came with rubber o-rings for the i/c tubes. should i use them or stick with the seal tape?
thanks
joe

Yes, Yes, Yes. Copper RTV works just as well, if not better, is cheaper, and can be bought at about any store.

Thomas

I agree with what Brandon said, go with Tbird88's gaskets. They work great and a perfect fit.

The rubber o-rings seals the portion of the SC top that comes off to remove the nut. Not usually something that gets taken apart.

Permatex Copper RTV is the way to go. The stuff works everywhere, SC top, exhaust manifold gaskets, intake mainfold adaptor, rocker covers, IC tubes, supercharger housing ect....pretty much anything you need sealed but want to clean off easy the next time it's apart.

It dries quick enough to drive the car as soon as you can bolt it together. I used to be a teflon tape purist...then I tried the Copper RTV and gave the teflon tape away.

David

This is a bit complicated to describe, but suffice to say that you probably don't need and can't use the O-rings. They are not meant for the mating surfaces where the Intercooler mates to the IC tube. Rather they fit between the tube and the seat which unscrews from the Tube itself... nothing to do with the intercooler.

The simplest thing to do is use the Ford Teflon tape. If you don't have the tape, then use one of Tbird88's gaskets (simple, reliable, reusable). If you don't want to do that, then use the copper RTV, or any sensor safe RTV.. doesn't have to be copper but it has a quick cure time and has been used successfully.

huh, maybe i'll try the RTV. i was surpised when i saw the 0-rings. they look like they might be hard to install. i might try them though, 3 came in the kit.
thanks
joe

Throw the o-rings away. Now get some RTV Copper and put a nice THIN coat on each mating surface. Install.

You wont regret it. If you use the o-rings you will be posting again complaining that the idle is rough and you think you have a vacuum leak.

As previousely mentioned the O-rings do not seal where the teflon goes.

They seal the ends back to the IC tubes:

scic1.jpg

I'll put in another plug for Wynn's (tbird88) seals, they are more expensive than a tube of RTV but are pretty much idiot proof as far as getting a good seal.

Aaron

Tbird88 contact info can be found at his website:
http://www.datarecall.net/~tbird88/index/parts/4sale1.htm

The gasket he sells are made from a sheet of thick teflon material and are reusable. I choose them because I felt that a reusable gasket would help me if I had positioning problems. Turns out I did so it helped.

If you need it done fast though, copper RTV from the local store is hard to beat. You just need to be careful when bolting things back up.

Make sure you understand that the o-rings are not for the obvious sealing surfaces. They are for the inner portions of the tube assemblies if you disassemble them. These are not areas a person would typically disassemble. The gasket kit you purchased does not include anything to seal the tubes to the IC.

that's good to know i can use Copper RTV for that, i've used it for many things where heat is a concern and it's never let me down!

Back