can bad cam sensor damage DIS module?

kevenj90sc

well i'm going to replace my Cam sensor because i dont have any way to actually check it, but it's cheap and the symptoms i'm having all point to that. My question is should i replace the crank sensor too even if the cam sensor fixes my problem? and can either or both these sensors cause the DiS Module to go bad? i know in the older fords with the TFI module on the distributor they recommend changing the pickup in the distributor at the same time a module is replaced, and it's basically the same idea so i was wondering if i should just change them all at once....my new DIS (month old) tested bad twice and good twice on our tester at work (failed one circuit, the 'reference output' circuit) so i'm not sure if its' bad or if our tester is just overly sensative (the original module failed nearly all circuits so i KNOW it was bad)

Thanks!

If the crank-sensor goes bad, you will know it. The Bird will shut off and will not restart until it is replaced. I haven't heard of the DIS being affected by a bad cam-sensor. The main thing with the DIS is to have a sufficient coating of heat-sink compound (not dielectric grease) between the DIS and the mounting surface. Just change the bad cam-sensor and go from there........... There are so many things that probably need attention on these cars, if it ain't broke, don't fix it (until next month when it actually does break.....)

Besides, the crank sensor is a real pain.....

Anything's possible.

But my experience and listening to others tells me just the Cam sensor is all you need. ;)

well i think that fixed it

just replace the cam sensor , and removed the module and took it to work and re-tested it (it's only a month old) and then cleaned the mounting surface and put new heat sink grease on it, and it seems to be fixed. At least it started up real quick (quicker than it has started in a LONG time) and idled good and the tach worked again. took it for a short ride around the block and everything seems to be fine. i was thinkin the crank sensor looked like a real pain so i'll leave well enough alone for now! besides i have to buy a fuel pump too, i have good fuel pressure but it's noisy so i'm gonna do that before i'm stranded beside the road.

On another note, the cam sensor i got from NAPA (i should mention that's where i work) part #CSS405, you can see where on the original one it has the Ford number, on the replacement one from NAPA the ford number is just sanded off so you can't read it...it's the SAME part from the same supplier (DANA corp). So don't think you need to only buy OEM ford stuff to get the same quality....

Back