Steam cleaned car. Now it's knocking.

Nettlesd

Steam cleaned engine. Now it's knocking.

With WFC6 next month I wanted to get the car cleaned up for the car show. I got the outside looking good so I thought I would do the inside also. Knowing that water gets the combustion camber sparkling clean, I decided to steam clean the inside of the motor. I drained the oil from the car, put on a new oil filter and filled up the car with 5 quarts of high quality distilled water. I figured the water would remove any crud and grime left in the motor and make everything shiny new. I drove the car for about 45 minutes, in that, I wanted to heat up the water so it would power through any grime. I got home and changed out the polluted water and oil filter. I filled it up with 5 quarts of Mobil 1 and started it up. It knocked so loud my neighbor came over and ask me if I had installed a diesel in the car. Can someone help me? Why is my car knocking so loud? Did I remove too much grime from inside the engine?

Last edited:
Don't worry, thats normal. The knocking sound is just the fresh oil hitting off the last little pieces of contamination. Drive it for a few more days and the noise should go away

Duh! You're supposed to shoot the water in through the intake. Oil and water don't mix, so the oil will remain on top and continue to lubricate the engine.

In your case, the best thing for you to do at this point is to drain the water, remove the SC and intake/IC tubing, intake manifold and leave it outside with the hood up for a while. Don't forget to park it out in the yard do it can be in the sun to completely dry out. Take off your tires and support the cars weight with cinder blocks, so the sun won't dry out your tires. When you see a bit of rust in the engine, it's ready for oil again. The rust particles will seal up any problem wear and tear when mixed with the new oil. The rust usally shows up about the time the grass has grown up through the radiator. You'll be good as new. :D

Last edited:
:eek:

HEAD GASKETS!!

I'm afraid there is nothing more you can do now. Essentially, you will have to pay the junkyard to hall away that pyLe.

Sorry, and better luk next time! :D

lol

Not real sure, but I really hope that this post was a joke. But just in case it wasn't, let me say that you are an idiot. LOL

Re: Steam cleaned engine. Now it's knocking.

Nettlesd said:
put on a new oil filter and filled up the car with 5 quarts of high quality distilled water.

no no you idiot, your suppose to use tap water. shiesh.

Geesh!

You didn't put Gummout in with the water? There's your problem: you've got hardened oilballs bouncing around inside! :p

are you sure you didnt accidently put the distilled water in the blinker fluid hole as well as the motor? or maybe your blinker fluid resoivuar leaked into the motor along with the distilled water.... better get some 409 motorup and Slickwilly50 and clean out that motor really good.

Deisel SC

Hey it's just the '89 models that came with diesels. You want to have some fun, idle an SC '89 and a old Rabbit diesel next to each other then blind fold the owner and ask them which car is theirs. It's a crap shoot.

Those '89 blowers do have great intimidation factor under WOT though. I've seen people swerve over when I open 'er up under a bridge.

Vernon

if you do find the blinker fluid hole tell me i have a friend looking for a waterpump for an old vw beetle along with muffler bearings for th same:)

Back