I need a Harmonic Balancer.....

jason3791

Hi everyone. I bought a 92 SC the other day that was not running. It was bought from a family member and they said that it ran fine and one day a few months ago it just died in the parking lot. It started again and died a few minutes later again. I thought that it would be something easy to fix and found out that the crank/balancer bolt has broken and the keyway has worn so badly that I have about 3/16ths of play on the balancer. I am assuming this is why the timing sounds like it is out and it wont start. I tries so hard, but just cant......... Anyhow I am looking for a balancer if anyone in Ontario has one. Any help would be appreciated whether it be a way to repair my existing, a suggestion of a replacement or if you have one you want to sell.

Thanks

Jason.

Do you mean the keyway on the balancer is worn or the keyway on the crankshaft itself? Because if the keyway on the crank is damaged, you just bought yourself a heck of a project.

If you are looking for a balancer, because they fail so easily, it is not recommeneded that you purchase a used one. In fact, it is often suggested not to remove it and reinstall it on the same car, just because they are so prone to failure.

New ones are available from Ford, but brace yourself for the cost.

Last edited:
Let's be careful not to scare anyone away here...

If you've got play in the balancer on the crankshaft, then I hope it's just rotational play. That would be consistent with a worn key or keyway. If you haven't already removed the balancer, then you'll need to in order to see exactly where the problem is. I'm sure you can get replacement keystock if that's what's worn. If the keyway in the balancer is worn, then a new balancer will rememdy that. If on the other hand, the keyway in the crank snout is worn, then you may have a much more serious issue. I don't know that you could fix that easily, and it's probably not worth trying to find just a replacement crank, but rather a rebuilt engine would work better.

How much have you done to really diagnose this problem?

Best regards,

Sean

Sometimes the stock balancers will start to separate, meaning the outer portion is moving independantly of the inner section ... we had one in the shop here a few years ago with that issue, just enough to throw off the crank sensor and keep the car from starting.

cheers
Ed N.

Thanks for all your responses. The keyway in the balancer is worn badly......... The crank looks ok to the eye (no wear on the key) so I am hoping that a new balancer will do the trick. $360 CDN I am told. Does that sound about right?

Thanks again.

Jason

Sounds about right from Ford Jason. They inlcude a new crank pulley assembly as well when you buy a new balancer from Ford.

I know that you have all suggested not buying a used balancer for the car, but I am hoping to find one anyways. Reason being, that the car is in pretty rough shape and I am only going to drive it for a few months when its raining and cant ride the bike. After that who knows, but the body is in pretty rough shape and I can't see spending alot of money on it. I think it is near wrecker material unless someone wanted to put alot of money into it. So again if anyone has or knows where I can get a used one, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for all the help as well.

Jason

Jason,

If you're not planning on keeping the car, a used balancer won't hurt anyone. Although there is a better chance a used one will fail, it could hold out just fine fo ya.

A lot of people have parted out cars recently, so check with local members first.

Back