transmission

MysticGohan51

now i haven't looked at the level of my tranny oil....and i know thats dumb just haven't had enough time to do anything ive wanted to....but when i slam on my gas...it doesn't kick in and my rpms go real high...it slipped...now if i go slower but not too slow i can gt my car to 70 pretty fast so all the gears are working then properly...now i doubt i will be lucky and have low tranny oil.....but about how much does it cost to get a transmission rebuilt....or just the one that seems to slip when i slam on the gas......

trans problem

If it is slipping due to low fluid, then it's probably too late, the damage is already done. I don't know what year your car is but if it is an early car with AOD then it could be the TV (throttle valve) cable broken, disconnected, or way out of adjustment. But there again driving it that way and slipping the clutches has probably roasted your trans even if it was a simple problem to begin with. Price for a rebuild will vary by area, but i'd expect to pay around $1500.00 at a reputable shop....a couple hundred less if you pull it out and reinstall it yourself.

well i only drove it 2 times and it happened....how do i find out if it is the throttle valve......it is an 89....thanks you......

It's an AOD.

The TV cable runs from the tranny and has a spring loaded connection to the throttle body linkage. The little metal cap on the end of the cable should not be sticking out beyond the plastic body of the cable assembly when the throttle is in the idle position.
To adjust it, pop it off the linkage and push out the white plastic pin to adjust it. Make sure to note which notch it's set to BEFORE releasing the pin.

But if you're making excessive R's when it's shifting you either have low fluid, or the clutches are shot. Before putting in more fluid, check the tranny and lines for leaks. From your description, it sounds like this just happened, and could be due to a leak.

Hope it's just a gasket or line. ;)

Last edited:
Back