Shocks and Busings - please advise.

MartianBob

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to this site. I love my 94 SC!
I plan to replace my front shocks and all the related bushings myself this weekend. I have a set of Illumina II's and an MN12 bushing kit; also new strut-rod nuts, and upper control arm -> spindle nut/bolt set. I have a good vice, C-clamp, etc. and I plan to rent a spring compressor and ball joint seperator.

I'm trying to set myself up for the job; nobody is open on the weekends around here.
Are there any other special tools required? Any other nuts/bolts that must be replaced?

Any advice is appreciated!

When I replaced my crank shaft seal I neglected to put on a new crank shaft nut. I learned that one the hard way. I want this one to go smooth.

I get to drive my car hard on a 10 mile winding mountain road in the redwoods twice each day! I love it!

Cheers
MB

martianbobsc@yahoo.com

There is a strut bushing that will need to be pressed out with a hydraulic press. I've you've reviewed the MN12 how to section on this process, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Otherwise, a good set of wrenches should handle it. Be careful with the strut spring.

Bushings

Thanks for the reply Mike,

Yes, the MN12 kit instructs me to use an arbor press to remove and install the Lower Control Arm bushing (where the arm attaches to the frame). I was hoping to use my vise and a little imagination; is this too much imagination?

Also, I noticed my kit does not have the Shock -> Lower Arm bushings, nor are these bushings referenced in the instructions.
This seems unusual?

I will not have access to a press. In theory, can this be achieved without a press?

thanks
Bob

It's my understanding that someone had difficulty with those bushings using a 10 ton press. So I'm not thinking you are going to have much luck.

I'd E-mail or call up Rich over at MN12Performance and get his take on it.

control arm bushings

i just bought a new set of lower control arms for the front of my 90 sc through ford. my ball joints were shot so i had to replace the uppers and i was just going to replace the ball joints but the busshings were starting to go, i was told they were only available through fords but it was sold as a unit.

bushings

Thanks for the feedback.
I talked to Rich at MN12.
Doesn't sound like the vice is gonna cut it.
I'm taking the arms to a shop to have the bushings pressed, and I'll have them swap the springs over too.

Cheers
MB

Back