Resonator

dhetzer

I would like to replace the stock resonator with the 18 ' Magnaflow 12288 or 14288 (Stainless). I am not planning any upgrades, anbd I don't drive it hard. I'm just trying to protect the headgaskets on my 90 5 speed by removing the most restrictive exhuast item.

What does a shop need to do to make this install? I went to one shop today and he said these 18" ones are too long to properly fit into the stock system. He suggested the 13" model 12148. Is he right? If so, will it the shorter one sound bad?

He didn't seem to know anything about SC's, so I'm not sure he is right.

He should know exhaust however ,the SC is not alien in that dept. Clearance ,as far as depth goes could be an issue but length ? Ask him to show you what he is talking about. I know some guys have 18 " on theirs. I have a 13 " on mine because it was going to run into something else under my car and i don't mind it a little noisier.

I just bought model number 12278 and two of the 2.25" high flow cats from supercoupeperformance.com. I really don't see a problem with the 18" resonator, there is plenty of room under there.

I always thought that headgasket damages due to stock exhaust restriction was relative to running the SC hard at high rpms. My opinion is that if you don't drive hard or run at high boost, why spend the money and install a high flow resonator? That thing is made to remove exhaust restriction at high air velocities, maybe 3,500 rpm and above. If the headgasket is weak to begin with, it's gonna blow anyway even with the new resonator.

Back