Newbie with Header Questions

Stangfireman

I just purchased a 91 XR-7 with the 5.0 I have some Hooker super comp headers for my LX Stang and was wondering if these would fit the Cougar? Any help is greatly appreciated.
I realize I'll probably have to fab up an H-pipe, but do you think these will clear the steering shaft?
Thanks for your help.

I don't believe they will clear the steering shaft. MAC makes the 5.0 headers for the mn12 chassis. No clue on price, but I bet they're cheaper than SC headers. Also, you may want to check out tccoa.com They might have better/more specific info for the 5.0. Most guys here just deal with the SC 3.8. Good luck and congratulations on your purchase!

On my other SC with a 351 stroker I relocated the steering shaft and using Super Competition headers. 5.0 Mustang headers wont work, JBA makes a nice set, I would get those over MAC if you plan on keeping you car for a while, its the best way, trust me

Thanks for the replies. I was over at tccoa and I think I seen a post saying something about using a Mustang steering shaft since it has two joints instead of one. And I happen to have the shaft out of my stang since I went to manual steering. So maybe I'll just have to take a weekend and see if these headers might work. Of course I'll probably be fabbing up a custom H pipe to work with this, but it could be worth the effort.
Thanks again!

A Fox shaft might work if you swap the entire colum(less electronics) over and by making new mounting points under the dash, you also have to use a mount at the end of the shaft since there is no place in a SC for it to bolt to, without it, it will be unstable. The SN-95s require an entire changeover with new bearing supports and removal of the master cylinder, engine and relocation of a ton of other parts and modifying the engine cradle. The gain from the Mustang headers inst much compared to the JBAs, unless you plan on several hundred hp ;)

Back