HELP! gunk on new plugs!

talonhead

Need some help guys,

Just got new plugs into my bird. Took it out for a spin to see if the symptoms (#6 not firing, loss of power, perv thread). Started out fine then started running reeeeal rough and seemed to do tetonate without getting on it to much. Got it back to the house and immeadiatly pulled #6 plug,......and there was a small blob of gunk on the electrode. Looked like warm tar. OIL? Could this be an indicator of rings going/gone bad?

If anyone in out there IM me at talonhead@yahoo.com

Sounds like you got some gunk from the engine on it while installing it. Is your engine nice and clean? If not then I would clean the plug real well and reinstall.

Aaron

Unfortunatley, these sound like symptoms to a larger problem.

Has stopleak ever been used in your engine? If so, this could cause it. When was the oil last changed? If not recently, this could help. It could also be something in the gasoline, but strange that so much would get past the injectors. Try a different gas station maybe?

What color was the gunk.. gray or brown? Open the oil cap and analyze the condition of your oil. Color, consitancy, anything unusual?

Also check your coolant resevoir for similar and say what its like.

|| One more thing.. ensure that your sparkplugs are either Motorcraft or Autolite double platinum. Some have also reported success with Iridium.

Last edited:
Thanks,
No had the car since 95, never used any of that stop leak crap. Oil has less than 1k on it and still clear.

Will clean and reinstall plug and see what happens. Wife ain't liken this not being able drive her car when she's up to driving.

Yesterday was my last (I hope) day with the USN, now to find that killer job so I can afford to rebuild the bird.

TTFN mike

Wellllllll,
Cleaned and installed plug. Same thing without the gunk, but it looks like I'm getting alot of oil on the plug. And I put a new steel idler wheel on (still waiting on the other 2 to arrive) so there is less noise now. But there is an occasional "tink" sound coming from the rocker cover near #6 is very sharp when listening through a metal tube held to the cover. Listened to the exhaust manifold at exhaust port, didn't hear it. could this be a bad valve/seal/guide?

Not really wanting to tear it apart again due to lack of funds. Time is not a problem. Good news if I have to do it I already have a set of ARP studs to put in. (yah-hoo). Going to call the shop that did the milling on the heads when the HG's blew and see how much it costs for a valve job.

bad plug

ALSO COULD BE PULLING OIL FROM PVC VALVE....INTO TB AND ALL THOUGH SC, PIPING ,INCOOLER AND COMPUSTION CHAMBER..........................ON PLUGS..................FYI .............FAST FREDDIE...................;) ;) ;)

sucking oil

Fast Freddy- Sucking oil is right!!!!!!
the intake rocker bolt backed off enough to let the rocker disengage from the push rod and turn sideways! the intake was'n opening. The tink sound was the push hittinh the valve cover. The cyl was trying to suck something in but with both valves shut the only thing it could get was oil from top and bottom.

So now that I have the outside of the motor off. I need another set of IC seals and put the whole d**n mess back together.

good move

glad you found the problem...........................you could use cooper sealant by PERATEX high temp it will hold.........fast freddie;) ;) ;) :rolleyes:

this bird is flying again!!!

Got her all together, retorqued all rockers (just to make sure) used some blue permetex,.........and she's flying again!! Runs better than she has in a while, only a slight vibration at idle.

And my wrenching privalidges have been taken away, wife says the mad Dr. is not allowed to practice car medicine on her baby anymore :(

.....Aahhhhh,.......Mr. Super Duty, the Dr. thinks a full suspension lift kit will be just the Rx............next patient please.....

Back