Upgrading Vavles

89SCK@t

Hopefully someone can help me with this question. I just took an extra set of heads to a very reputable machine shop in colorado springs and I want to know if I can throw away my old valve and put bigger and better ones in. He looked through all of his performance books and Lo, and Behold, no parts for the SC/XR7. I read somewhere on here that you can put chevy valves in it...is it true? If it is, what are the biggest vavles i can go with? The owner of the shop said that he would have them done by the end of the week...and its only costing me 250 to clean them up, port and polish, and 5 angle valve job, thats also with a military discount...not too shabby eh? If someone could help me with this question that would be great.

Thanks,

Stephen

Stephen,

My intake valves are 1.94 dia. and the exhaust valves are 1.625. I don't think you can go much bigger. I don't know what they normally fit.

David

valves

im assuming those arent stock sizes...what brand are they? did you have to get the stems ground down to fit? how much did they cost? how much of an increase of flow did you get? is the upgrade even worth the cost? i know...more questions...thanks

O-Ring

The guy that I took my heads to also said that he could O-Ring the heads...Is this a worthy option? What exactly would be done in order to o-ring the heads? would it make it harder for the HG's to blow? A lot of questions...if someone could answer for me please?

O-ringing the heads is a good thing but ringing the block is better and even ringing the block and cutting a receiver in the head is the best. Helps to seal much better. Add head studs too and it will hold together for a lot of abuse. As far as the valves. I have chevy valves(Ferrera) in mine but forgot sizes, I'm thinking it was 1.87 and 1.625. The vavles I used were a little longer but I had different springs put in and had custom pushrods made to make it work. Don't ask me quite the reasoning behind the longer valves but it has something to do with the opening and closing of the valves. A little to much info for me to remember.

Back