How should I go about re-threading my oilpan?

syphon

So last time I changed my oil, I noticed that the bolt didn't go back in very smoothly. Being the giant idiot I am, I forced it in. It went in, but afterwards I looked at it and realized the threads were ****ed up. The bolt is sitting at a slight angle.

I'm almost sure the threads on the oil pan are ****ed. Right now the bolt sits in there tight enough that it only leaks a tiny bit. I have to add a half quart of oil every 3 weeks or so, but I definately need to get this fixed with my next oil change.

I'm pretty sure pulling the oil pan itself is a huge job, involving lifting up the engine a bit.

My question to you... what methods are there for me to fix it? I understand I can get a "tap" which is basically a bolt that will re-cut the threads for me (it's just aluminum) but are there any easier methods? Is this the best way to go about it? Do I just get a tap of the same size as my oil drain bolt?

You could JB weld the bolt in there.

Or you could use a tap. Drain the oil and put grease on the tap this will keep most of the metal out of the pan (it gets stuck in the grease). This is a pice of cake.

A few years ago a grease monkey did the same thing to my car. I had the store pay for replacing the pan and the rental car. It was 2 weeks until the car was finished. I wouldn't allow them to use a junkyard pan because the mechanic wouldn't warranty it. It's tough to find a pre 80's oil pan for a chevy engine (unless you know where to look).

Jeff

Where can I get a tap? A local auto store? Should I get one that's set for the same size as the stock oil drain bolt? (I'll need to pick up a new one of those too)

Most hardware stores. Like an Ace or a local hardware store. Sears is a good place. It's a metric tap. Take the bolt with you to find out (guess you will need to find another means of transportation). Someone else may be able to tell you. Call ford or a parts store they might be able to tell you. Ask for one at said parts store,it might be printed on the box or something.

They also make an oversized drain plug that has self tapping threads.

Jeff

Or you could get a drain valve instead of a plug, such as those made by Aeroquip or Fumoto. These replace the plug, so you don't have to take it in and out. Sounds like your luck with the plug isn't so great, so maybe the valve is the way to go. :p I suppose you could even just jam it in there with some JB Weld and not have to tap the hole, but that would be pretty cheesy.

HeliCoil

This is what you need:

helicoil.jpg

I did the same thing only it was on my trans oil pan. Just bring your bolt in to your local parts store and match it up to one of the heli coil kits they have. First you drill out the out the old threads just a tad. Then use the tap to re-thread it. Then you screw in one of the heli coils and now you have stronger threads than before. You will probably need a new bolt too if your threads are stripped on the bolt too.

I called a dealership and I was told the threads on the drain bolt are a sort of obscure metric setup. Will this be a problem in finding a tap?

hmmm...I didnt really read your thread all the way through the first time and I assumed it was one of the oil pan bolts that you stripped, not the actuall plug. Even if you tap out the hole, I would worry about the metal shavings that are going to get into the oil pan. I am sure there is some way of getting them out though. As far as the plug being an "obscure metric setup", I don't know about that but I am sure a replacement bolt and or tap could be found. All I know is that you really don't want to have to replace the oil pan because that whole motor has to come out or the K-frame has to be dropped.

Were you at the SCCoW meet at Billy McCalles(sp?) last month? I had the red 94'.

bigcletus94 said:
Were you at the SCCoW meet at Billy McCalles(sp?) last month? I had the red 94'.

Yes, I spoke with you for a bit. I was the guy with the primered back quarter panel... I had to leave early because my friends wanted to go home.

The guy at Harris Ford in Lynnwood said the threads were wierd on the bolt when i asked him exactly what size it was. I'm sure I'll find a replacement though.

Back