PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Code 48, misfire after HB install. PlEASE!!

phils89sc
04-03-2003, 04:11 AM
I just got my SC back together after 4 long days of replacing the broken harmonic balancer. I get it all put together, and followed the directions for the camshaft postion sensor install etc.

On the very first startup, she fired up, but was missing badly. It was a very steady miss though. The check engine light was on as well so I figured I would run the codes. The only code was a Code 48, I guess it is a coil pack failure. So, I run down to the 24hr Autozone and buy a new coil pack @ 1230 am. I get home, install it, and the same crap happens. Same code, same problem.

At this point, I am stumped. I know the plugs and wires are new and all in the right location and are without any damage.

Could this problem be my DIS ignition module? I am going to have it tested tomorrow (actually today).

Any ideas? I am just about 100% sure I got the cam position sensor in right, but even if I was off just a slight bit, would it cause this kind of problem?

Thank in advance to all your input

Phil

04-03-2003, 04:53 AM
What you should do, probably not the safest though, is while the car is running, start unplugging plug wires. I did this on my "bad Coil" and noticed 2 plugs weren't firing, ran out and bought a new one. The new one didn't make the car any better. So I did the same thing, unpluggin plug wires, one at a time, found out that the 2 same plugs weren't firing. It led me to believe the DIS was bad because it's what sends the signal to the coil. Not really a good way of checking, but really the only one if you don't want the dealership or a mechanic charging a butt load of money to fix it...my .02

hopefully this helps,
stephen

-edit-
In my case it was the DIS that was causing my problems, neither the Ford dealership or anyother mechanic could figure it out. I forgot to put that in my earlier reply.