Coolant question

Billabong089

Recently I've been noticing that my car smelt a little like antifreeze, so when I popped the hood I saw steam coming off the end of the radiator, and recently I filled the overflow tank because basically it was empty, and now I've been noticing puddles of coolant under my car so somethings leaking... what should I look for?

Also check the tank seams on the radiator where you saw the steam. Mine split at the tank seam and I had the same indications you are getting. Just a thought.

I agree with ekesz13's suggestion of the radiator seams. I have replaced the radiator in my '92 twice in the past eleven years. The tanks are made of plastic and just don't seem to hold up over the long haul. If it happens again to my bird, I'm going shopping for an all metal replacement...........

Cooling Systems & Flexibles makes a metal replacement at reasonable cost, much less than the factory radiator. Any radiator shop should be able to order it for you.. and it comes with a lifetime warranty.

timing cover bolts

my 90 had a slight leak and it turned out to be that the timing cover bolts were loose, like over time the gasket had compressed. The water pump was changed right before i bought the car, done at a Ford dealership, and it was not leaking....but i got a quarter turn on the timing cover bolts (and i didnt overtighten them) and the leak stopped. i had to take the belts and pulleys off and couldnt get to 2 of them on the left side because the power steering pump bracket was in the way but i snugged up the ones i could reach and no problems since. This was a year and a half ago.... Now if i could fix the oil leaks that easy!

Ok I'll take a look, Im thinking its the radiator becuase I can see lines of dried coolant on the side... but I dont see how my over flow tank got 3/4 empty within 2 days... Im going to have to take it to a shop and I need a flush anyway.

Back