Time to remove my tint...how?

Tubeamp

Hey all,

It's coming time to re-do my tint (as you can tell by my sig. @ the bottom). I've done this before, but years ago...what do you guys think is the best way to do it? I have a few buddies that do tint. They'll do the tint for me, but they won't remove it. They just laugh at me...every one of them.

Rin:D

They laugh because it is a major PITA. If you are going to redo it, I would suggest taking it to a shop that will remove it if you pay them to re-tint it. The shop that I used to work with didn't enjoy removing tint, but they did it for a rather low charge if they were retinting it for you. Also, they would not warranty the tint if someone had botched a removal job. Just my opinion. I tried it once also and never again! :)

piece of cake dude. pull the film off, then put some warm water and viniger in a spray bottle, spray it on the glue and let it sit for a few min. LIGHTLY scrape with a brand new razer blade if you have to push hard than spray again and wait longer. this works. the glue will come off easier than the film.
joe

what he said... windex, or anything with ammonia, works too.

windex and a hair dryer.

Get the tint nice and warm with the hair dryer. Don't use a heat gun they get too hot.

Once you get a small peice off you can spray windex between the tint and the glass. The glue will soften from the heat and windex then you can pull large sections off if you pull carefully

Aaron

Here's an update. FOR THE GLUE ONLY: I just got finished trying the acetone. It works very well. However, it is some very strong stuff. You will need a respirator, some elbow-high heavy duty rubber gloves, and eye protection if you are going to use this stuff. Make sure you attempt this outside in a FULLY VENTILATED AREA. Keep the doors and windows of the car open at all times. It's best to do it in the shade somewhere. I finished the two front windows and one of the rear side windows, and it really took the glue off. Be careful and good luck,

Matt

Actually I tried the vinegar first because I figured I'd try the safer stuff first to see if it works, but it didn't even make a dent in the glue. I don't know, maybe they used some crazy type of glue on my tint, who knows.

My recipe for next week is to park it for 6 hours and it will magically be removed (along with some money from my pocket???) The old tint will be off and new tint in it's place. ;) Im a little tempted to try the windows, but the rear I want them to do, due to the defroster lines, and I doubt they'll drop the price for being half done. Would the 3M adhesive remover work well? Gets dried sap off, pretty tough stuff. That and a heat gun took care of the door trim tape with ease. Is there something about the tint glue that would resist that stuff?

Purple tint just doesn't go with red, and the back glass is so distorted I can't see the cops behind me. :eek: ;)

i took off my tint last summer. the side windows were easy but the rear was impossible because of the defrosters...if i had to do it again i'd just replace it with one from a wrecker...cheaper than paying a shop to remove the tint - they wanted 150$

Thanks guys!

Hey thanks guys!

All of my tint guys laughed at me because they didn't want to do it

Anyways, I think I going to attempt this myself. I'll post my finding...though it's freezing rain here in Toronto today, not to motivated to remove tint with weather like this, even if its in a nice dry warm shop!

Rino

easy way

Spray liberal with water and soap. Place black bag over hole window in the sun. creates humidity and comes of very easy.

I used 3M adhesive remover and it didn't work very well. I then used windex and a razor blade and it took forever. I didn't bother with the back window, I just paid the guy to remove it. He used something so strong it started to eat the glue off the window seal. I had to wait a few days for it to dry back down and then take the car back to get the back window finished up. Looked pretty funny driving around for like 4 days w/o tint on the back, but 5% limo on all the other windows. LOL.

50/50 mix and let it sit 5 min. the best way. if the glue is hard wait longer. it will come off like butter.
joe

I've tried several things trying to remove the tint on the back window. With no success. I even bought that "Tint Off" bottle at Kragen, and all I did was to work out my left and right arm for almost an hour and waste 7 bucks.

I'm going to take the acetone tip. I didn't want to use it, but everything else has failed!

Betoglez
Tbird LX, Auto, 3.8.

Did you try 409, and a razor blade? if you want it to just fall off without using any elbow grease your freash out of luck.

Ammonia also will strip the tint off in a matter of an hour or so but you have to use garbage bags and tape the area off so it doesn't get everywhere.

Jeff

Back