New SC Short Block from Ford

SilverCasket

I am looking to purchase a Ford short block. But I am not sure if there is a difference in the short block from 89-93 & 94-95...

Anyone have any info on this? My 92 is getting everything redone on it in performance modz. The bottom end is the only thing staying the same.

Also, does anyone feel that balancing a new (if you call it that) reman Ford shortie is worth while? Also, if I plan on using the 4.2 litre gaskets, do you think I will need to deck the block before putting it in?

Anthony

Motor will be balanced, if you want to blueprint it too then you might gain some. You definately won't need to deck the block either. You may want to add head and main studs and also ARP rod bolts for a little stronger motor. Make sure you have the windage tray too, it will come with later model short block, at least it should.

Blueprinting

Blueprinting an engine consists of several machine shop operations including but not limited to:

Bore & hone cylinders (usually w/Deck plates).

Re-size connecting rods (big end & sometimes small end).

Turn & Index crankshaft.

3 angle valve job cylinder heads (to a specific width & place on valve face).

Fitting valve guides to a specific clearance.

Setting up valve springs to the right installed height & pressure, both open & closed.

Surfacing block and cylinder heads straight & with the right RMS finish.

Race engines require even more blueprinting----such as; cc'ing heads, machining for exact deck, block clearancing for crankshaft, & cam to rod clearance, porting & polishing, shot peening, heat treating,---the list goes on & on.

If you do it all then then you're looking at some money, I guess if you have the engine balanced again it could help because factory stuff has pretty bad tolerances.

yes ford has reman motors for the sc. short block lists for 1824.00
and the long block for 2000.00, or you can get the 94-95 recall motor which has the front cover, oil pan, valve covers, oil filter, cam, which goes for 2572.53, does not have the oil pick up though, which has been dicontinued, doesn't have the windage tray either.

chris

to answer your original question

I am looking to purchase a Ford short block. But I am not sure if there is a difference in the short block from 89-93 & 94-95...

Yes there are some differences, 1st and probably the most significant is the 94-95 rods have floating wrist pins whereas the 89-93's do not. 2nd the vavle covers and their respective gaskets are different. 3rd and also important is the 94-95's came with a larger oil pump from the factory (this pump has been discontinued by ford.) Finding a replacement might be difficult now.

Those are the major differences.

Chris

Chris,

Unless FORD JUST discontinued the 94-95 Oil Pump they still sell it as part of the Front Cover assembly. I priced one like 6 months ago and it was with jobber discount like $350.00 for both (pump and cover)

Well the last one I bought for Kurt K's engine like 2-3 weeks ago was one that came from a parts surplus dealer. The ford dealer didn't have any. So you might check again.

Chris

dont forget

dont forget that I think everybody here is correct but I would also like to add that from 1982-1985 the 3.8 liter connecting rods are 5.9135" and the 1997-2000 3.8 liter rods are 6.091.

Chris,

Took your suggestion and checked. As I indicated the 94-95 Timing Cover with oil pump is still available. The part number is

F4SZ 6019DA (if I read my parts man's writing correctly)

Ford has over 150 in inventory. If you are rebuilding a high mileage engine it would be a wise choice to replace the timing cover as well as oil pump since the cover corrodes and gets warped and we all know the benefit of the only upgraded oil pump optioon we have.

When I last got a timing cover from Ford they told me they no longer sell the timing cover and oil pump together. You may want to have your Ford man you know actually pull that part and see if it has an oil pump with it. That is what I was told not that it is true.

Chris

Theres a guy local here that has three NEW longblocks...everything from SC to oil pan, theyre 1990 motors, but brand new crate motors from ford...(hes been sittin on them for a while. He was a ford fleet mech. and got a deal on them. Anyway hes sellin them for 4000.00 each
These arent rebuilt units theyre brand new..my buddy bought one and already has it installed and running....theyre nice nice nice

Chris,

To pull the part that means I have to buy it since it would be a special order not a stocked part or assembly. Right now I don't have an extra $350.00 laying around. Perhaps someone that needs the part might report back and let us know for sure.

Wzenheimer

What is the diffrence in the valve covers? Is there any reason why we couldn't use them on an older motor?

Thanks
Tim

The valve covers are interchangeable from engine to engine as long as you have the appropriate gaskets. That is where the difference is, the gaskets in the later style fit into the valve covers. I would post some pics but I don't have any of those right atthis moment.

Chris

FORD REMAND Short Block...

Fisrt of all I would be very cautious before I bought a FORD ramnd anything...My 94 SC went through several of these things...Fair enough they have a local shop contract the work for the dealerships...BUT, most of them would be in it for quantity rather than quality...All three of my engines prove that statement, the last one lasting 8K befor it lost a main bearing and ruined the crank and block...Way to go FORD...

After FORD quoting me a premium price for a sub-standard rebuild I took my own path and had a solid short block assembled for less than half od what FORD wanted...FORD can go suck a fat babys' crank IMO...Do it yourself with a reputable local machine shop, you will prolly have alot better luck...

Cheers

Brad

Back