PDA

View Full Version : SVT Cobra R's

Smokin-SC
04-03-2003, 05:57 PM
I purchased a set of 17x8 SVT Cobra R rims for my 90 SC. And for some reason the hub size seems to be too small, and wont allow my rims to fit on. Did i make a mistake on rims or am I just doing something wrong?

David Neibert
04-03-2003, 06:10 PM
It sounds like you bought the Mustang 4.5" bolt pattern instead of the 4.25" bolt pattern for Thunderbirds.

David

DrewsSC
04-03-2003, 09:13 PM
yea dude, those Cobra R's are a 4.5 bolt pattern and the SC has a 4.25 bolt pattern. Another dumb *** move that Ford did. Anyways, u can either change the hub to mustang hubs and get new rotors too, or just return them and find a place that sells the R's w/ a 4.25 pattern and there are a few. Unfortunatly, the bolt pattern for our cars is a lot harder to find than Mustangs but its possible. I recommed looking at www.wheelmax.com. www.victoriatire.com, www.tirerack.com and www.customwheeldirect.com........don't buy anything until u talk to a company rep. that will guarntee that they will fit the SC, good luck

Drew

Smokin-SC
04-04-2003, 12:30 AM
Thanx you guys!! I'll pay whatever to get those rims on, cuz i dont wanna be stuck w/ a set of 1300+ dollar wheels and tires that i cant use. I will check those sits you posted and reply back.

Smokin-SC
04-04-2003, 01:07 AM
I contacted a few sites on places to buy mustang hubs. If anyone else may know of a place to buy them help me out. Cuz I cant wait to see my SC sittin on them w/ my Schorcher T/A's

XxSlowpokexX
04-04-2003, 03:14 AM
dude..do the cobra brake upgrade...Her eis my car with same setup

http://members.aol.com/xmetalgodnyc/page3.html

rivlee
04-04-2003, 05:53 AM
It looked too weird with those little disc's. :D

WickedBird
04-04-2003, 11:27 AM
just go to the junkyard and get front hubs of a 94+ mustang. they will fit directly on. then you will have to do somethig about the rotors. i just redrilled mine.

the rear requires cobra hubs (another dumb idea from ford), which you probably won't find at a junkyard. so you can redrill your hubs and rotors or order new cobra hubs.

supercharged95
04-04-2003, 02:53 PM
a little off topic but.....smokin sc where abouts are you at in iowa?

Nettlesd
04-04-2003, 03:12 PM
Did you make your own brackets to relocate the rear caliper for the 12" rotor? What can you tell me about your setup.

Smokin-SC
04-04-2003, 09:27 PM
I'm located in North Western Iowa. About a half hour from Carroll.

Wickedbird - Where could i order the exact parts required to make these wheels work?

WickedBird
04-05-2003, 12:35 AM
i don't know of any places off hand other than a ford dealer. contact Dan Newman at fivestarford.com. he should be able to get you good price (well at least a better price anyway).

i would seriously consider redrilling them. it will save you some money and work just as good.

XxSlowpokexX
04-05-2003, 02:25 AM
You can get rear bracket from factoryfive racing..They make it for their cobra kit cars,Betterthen fabbing it yaself..ALl peices off a 98 cobra including rims..Nowww teh rear hubs are from an IRS stang..Front is a bolt in proposition for a 94..Earlier SC may need new spindles

blue
04-05-2003, 03:10 AM
dude i would take those rims back get the right bolt pattern and get 17 by 9 in. wheels, i have them on my 95 XR7 and they look sweet, ull need wheel spacers though, but they llok awsome, i found mine on ebay for like 600 buck polished.

dave:cool:

WickedBird
04-05-2003, 04:21 PM
the front hubs can be off any 94+ mustang and will fit any 89+ tbird. yes the rear hubs must be from a IRS mustang but it MUST be a cobra in order for the splines to match. not sure the exact years, but i am thinking 98+.

fast Ed
04-05-2003, 07:13 PM
All the info for swapping brakes and hubs is here :

CLICKY - CLICKY (http://users.rcn.com/fraleigh/Article.html)

cheers
Ed N.

Smokin-SC
04-05-2003, 08:45 PM
Thanx for your help so much. But what would you do now? Pay about 700 to swap my hubs for what is required for those wheels, or pay a 40% re-stocking fee on those wheels + shipping on the new correct wheels + re-mounting of the tires wich would be aprox. $400? You gotta remember, I'm barley 17 and only workin on a limited budget here. (even tho it is way more than most my age lol)

WickedBird
04-06-2003, 01:04 AM
i would pay $50 bucks to swap the bolt pattern and keep your wheels. where did you come up with $700? my swap cost about $50. possibly a bit more if you want new studs(not a bad idea).

also, if you change to 5x4.5, you will have many more wheel choices if you want new wheels down the road.

btw, restocking fees suck!!!

Nettlesd
04-06-2003, 04:24 PM
Damon,

Are those the ones for $300 a pair? Is that what you paid for them? Did you also use a cobra 11.65" rear rotor or an actual 12" rear rotor?

Smokin-SC
04-06-2003, 08:45 PM
I got the 700 from the parts list and prices in fast Ed N's post about swapping hubs.

WickedBird, you said it cost you about $50 (I'm guessing you installed the parts yourself), if thats all it costs I'm there. But where did you buy your parts from, a salvage yard?

If so, please give me a list of exact parts it requires and possible some #'s, that way i can start my hunt.

WickedBird
04-07-2003, 10:58 AM
Smokin-SC ,

i purchased the front hubs from a local salvage yard for $35 for the pair. i also bought new studs for approx. $15-20. you don't have to use new studs but it is a good idea because they are pressed in. i chose to change the studs on the mustang hubs because they are a different thread than the birds and i already had lugs of course.

those are the only part you HAVE to buy. as for labor, it is pretty easy to do youself if you have a drill press. even if you paid a shop, it should be fairly inexpensive.

for the front, just simply swap the hubs and change the studs if you want. you may want to check the bearings and what not first. you will then need to redrill your rotor to match the new bolt pattern. i would suggest picking up a junk rotor while you are at the salvage yard to use as a template. there may be cars with the 5x4.5 pattern with a rotor that will fit the bird, but i dont' know, so i redrilled mine. line it up to your tbird rotor and use a center punch to mark the holes. start with a small drill bit and work your way up to the appropriate diameter for the studs. you should use a drill press so the holes are straight and to save your arm some pain. make sure you use sharp bits and keep them oiled while drilling.

for the rear, you can buy the cobra hubs but it is not necessary. just pull of your hubs and use the same process as the front rotors to redrill them. then do the same for the rear rotors. even if you buy the cobra hubs, you will have to have them pressed on (the rear hubs are a press on but the fronts are not).

there are different ways to go about this, but this is cheap and inexpensive. i assure you it is safe and works fine. i did this to my car 2-3 years ago and have had no problems.

btw, when installing the studs, use a press if you have one, or get some old lugs and washers to pull them on once they are started (don't use the lugs you plan on using for the car because they will probably be ruined). if you try pounding them in, they probably won't be straight.

let me know if you are unclear of anything or have any other questions.

ricardoa1
04-07-2003, 06:55 PM
Seems like no one checks the classified sections :D
hub redrill $75 (http://www.geocities.com/stus_cobra/irs_machining.html)

Smokin-SC
04-07-2003, 09:47 PM
WickedBird, Thanx for all your help!! But I'm still undecided, on if i should just spend the extra $ and get those cobra's in the 5x4.25 or just change hubs. I gotta hash this one over with my dad, he knows a little more than i do ;)

ricardoa1, Is that you that offers that service? If so, (depending on what my and dad come up with for a decision), I may be getting in contact w/ you soon. Smokin-SC

ricardoa1
04-07-2003, 11:04 PM
No its not me, but i am selling my cobra rs. for $400 no tires.
and $500 with two new tires.
In the 4.25 pattern.
;)

James Kanteraki
04-09-2003, 06:27 PM
heres it

get yourself the hubs and caliper spacer for rear, you need.

get rotors and front calipers from www.discbrakesrus.com talk to jeff. tell him Jim from california recommended you. I am currently working with him to get a complete upgrade package together that hopefully will include a spacer for rear brakes
also don't forget the banjo bolts
get some russell brake lines universal lines- 20 inches. with the 35 degree banjo (10mm) and get an adapter from 7/16 24 IF. internal flare female to male -AN. www.russellperformance.com both autozone and summit have their parts. i think summit is cheaper.

i think thats it

jim