PDA

View Full Version : MY SC SUCKS!!! Not starting... AGAIN!

Ant024
04-03-2003, 07:34 PM
I was driving my 1991 Thunderbird Super Crap (which i treat like my baby) down a street close to my house. All of a sudden without warning, the car stalled out, and I can't get it started. Everything still works; radio, windows, lights, and alarm. I'm on my 3rd harmonic balancer, so I know what it feels like when that goes (its not that), and I'm almost certain that it's not my DIS Ignition Control Module. I checked for spark (I held the plug wire above the socket, and tried to start it, and see if I get the curvy spark) and didn't see anything. I wanna just junk it, but I love the car, and want to at least sell it. So anyone who can give advice and help me diagnose the problem is welcome to do so.
thanks alot...
Ant

rolltide
04-04-2003, 02:24 AM
Hi. I had the same thing happen to mine. My wife was driving it around town at it just quit. It would turn over, all electrical worked, just no start up. Had to have it towed to my mechanic and $200 later I had a new Fuel pump and the problem is fixed. 93 SC with 156K miles. Also happened to a 91 Camaro my friend was driving. Just crapped out on us in the middle of town.

rivlee
04-04-2003, 06:04 AM
The 3 componets that generate spark are the DIS, CAM sensor and coil pack. Of course there's harness & connectors plus an inline capacitor going to the coil pack. You could try disconnecting & re-connecting the cables. You might get lucky & just have a dirty connection.

talonhead
04-04-2003, 11:47 AM
Turn the key to on and listen for the fuel pump to cut in then shut off. If it does, then change the fuel filter. If it dosen't turn on, check fuel pump shut off in trunk (reset) if still no go replace pump. If it turns on but doesen't turn off, replace pump as it's not building enough pressure.

Check and make sure that you have spark to go with fuel.

racecougar
04-04-2003, 12:57 PM
First off, I would recommend running the codes and checking for fuel pressure at the fuel rail when the key is turned on. If you're not getting spark, (which you aren't right?) then I would recommend checking the crank sensor. Make sure that the connector for the crank sensor is all the way plugged in, I've actually had one come loose while I was driving before and it acted the same way that you've described.

rivlee
04-04-2003, 01:10 PM
Cam sensor = spark timing, crank sensor = fuel timing.

racecougar
04-04-2003, 01:12 PM
Ok, I thought it was the other way around.

rivlee
04-04-2003, 01:33 PM
The DIS connects to the Cam sensor, to the coil pack. I used to get them confused til I had an intermittant short in that harness. Pain is a great teacher. ;)

racecougar
04-04-2003, 01:41 PM
Ok, I apologize. I was thinking about my 94 DIS setup, but I just looked at one of my 90's and I see what you're talking about. On the 94, both the cam sensor and the crank sensor go to the DIS module. Thanks for correcting me.

rivlee
04-04-2003, 02:15 PM
A lot of people helped me learn, I'm just trying to pass it on. ;)

Lee

J57ltr
03-03-2004, 12:27 AM
Actually if you lose a crank sensor you will not have spark.

A cam sensor can fail and the car will still run, but if the crank sensor goes bad then there will be no spark and the engine will not run without it.

Jeff

TbirdSCFan
03-03-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Ant024
I'm on my 3rd harmonic balancer, so I know what it feels like when that goes (its not that) What makes you sure? If you're on the 3rd balancer, you're not getting good ones. The HB can walk forwards on the crankshaft just enough to break the gap to the crank sensor and cause the problem. Check for main HB bolt, and then when cranking the engine, look for the up-arrow staying lit on the tach. If it stays lit, 90% of the time its the crank sensor or the HB or both. Also, when you replace the HB those other times, did you replace the crank sensor also? If not, you should have.

With a record of 3 HB, I'd recommend you go ahead and spend the $$ and get a decent one from BHJ. :D

baddabing80
03-03-2004, 04:43 PM
when I had my 91 it would die out of know where and after awhile it would start again and it stopped running tottaly after awhile and all electrical worked also. I took it in and they said it was a bad o2 sensor shutting it down and they replace it and it was fixed.