PDA

View Full Version : Pumkin Install....

89_Red_Xr7
04-03-2003, 09:50 PM
hello all, i just got an entire pumkin out of an auto SC and was wondering how hard the actual install really is. from what i understand, it's pretty straight forward, remove half shafts, undo all bolts and let it drop. for the install what all will i need? will i need any new seals or anyrhing along those lines?

as always input is greatly appreciated.
Andrew:cool:

racecougar
04-03-2003, 11:03 PM
It is pretty straight forward. I recommend removing the entire rear spindle with the halfshaft attached, that way you won't have to replace and retorque the retaining nuts. I always remove both halfshafts, but quite a few people only remove one and then pry the centersection sideways. By removing both halfshafts it gives you a little more room to move the centersection around in there. You definitely want to have a jack under the centersection to lower it, it's pretty heavy.

Before you install your centersection, I'd recommend replacing the side seals. They can be picked up at your local auto parts store for about $12 each. The old ones are a bit of a pain to remove, I usually have one person hold the centersection while I pry on them with a large prybar. Then I use a piece of wood and a mallet to tap the new ones in evenly.

If you haven't yet, use the search button. There are a lot of threads out there about changing centersections. You can also use the search in the drivetrain forum over at tccoa.

89_Red_Xr7
04-04-2003, 04:05 PM
alright, im gonna take a stab at it tomorrow while i'm doing my 255 fuel pump.

thanks!

andrew

ekesz13
04-04-2003, 04:11 PM
Andrew, I am considering this also and have gotten advice from racecougar. Let us know how it goes and good luck!!

Erich