clutch hydraulic line

lowflying90

is this line directly attached to the clutch master cylinder so when it is changed you have to unhook the clutch pedal also to remove it?? how do you go about changing this line?

thanks,
jeff

i'm confused, the lower end that connects to the slave cylinder has a shim that you slide in to release it. what do you mean by two nuts? i'm confused.

Jeff

I told you not to cut that line.

The line is pressed into the end of the Master Cylinder, and held in place by a rolled pin that is pressed in the side. It will be a frustrating pain to try and get tools in there to press that pin out with the master in the car.

The Helms manual says to remove the Master from the Vehicle to remove the Line from it. You will have to pry the push rod off the pedal arm. This might break the plastic clip that holds them together, so be prepared to go to the dealership and order one. Once the pushrod is popped off, you have to twist the master cylider counter-clockwise about 45 degrees. pry the fluid resivior off the shock tower and you should be able to pull the whole system out without splashing brake fluid all over. If you do get brake fluid all over due to the cut line wash it off immediately or the paint will be ruined where the fluid gets on it.

Now that the master is out you need to press the pin out. I did this by supporting one side of the master on a small socket so that the pin would fall into the socket opening. Then I pushed on the pin with a small nail. I think I arranged this whole mess in a C-clamp that I actually used to press.

Once the pin is out, pull the hose off, put the new hose on and press the pin back in. Now get everything back in the car, put the master back in. Attach the resivior back to the shock tower and fill it.

Now get under the car and use a small screwdriver to press open the flap valve in the slave end of the hose, if necessary have someone press the clutch pedal until you have fluid coming out of the hose. DO NOT PRESS THE PEDAL UNLESS THIS VALVE IS OPEN! once you have fluid coming out connect the hose to the slave, fill the resivior, and bleed the clutch.

Back