Can the SC snout bearing be replaced on the car?

phils89sc

I was wondering if the supercharger snout bearing can be changed while the SC is still on the engine? I have to change the front seal, it does no good for me to add fluid because two days later it is gone. Can someone advise me here?

Thanks

Phil

Yes,remove the pulley and there is a snap ring that holds the seal in.Remove the ring and use a pick to pry the old seal out.Then lube the new seal up and push it on easy,then take a socket and tap it to seat the seal onto the shaft.Replace the ring and pulley and refill and there u go.

Can the snout be removed while SC is on the car?

If I can't remove the bearing while the snout is on the SC, can the snout itself be removed while the SC is still on the engine?

Thanks

Phil

If you are going to go to that much trouble it is much easier to remove the whole SC. You will need to seal the snout again with locktite 518 or 510. It needs to be clean and how are you going to drain the fluid, let it drain down the front of the engine? Trust me you don't want to do that, people will think that you have a dead body under the hood.

Jeff

I can take most fluid out with a suction bulb....

I REALLY want to replace that bearing!! I know it may be a dirty job, but if you heard my bearing, you would probably do the same thing. It sounds very much like someone is crushing rocks in the SC.

So I am guessing that to take the snout off, you have to first remove the pulley, then all the snout retaining bolts, then it should pull off the front right? Press out the old bearing and press on the new one and install the new #7968 viton Chicago Rawhide seal and I reassemble and seal the snout and that should be it right?

Phil

Is it really your bearing that is making the noise? It could be just the plastic peice that breaks in most cases, and only causes rattling at idle. You may want to pick one of those up, not sure if Dr. fred still makes them for $10 or not.

Boostman,

What is this plastic piece you speak of? Mine is making the rock tumbling noise at idle and sometimes while driving, don't hear it that much driving, just at idle. I was going to pull mine and send it out to get rebuilt for $300.

Matt

Back