Interesting Ford experimental SC engine

It might even be a broken cast crank.:D

I really want that top even if it's not louvered.

Jeff

If you can think of it you can do it. I guess you could take a 5.0 Tbird Rad (preferably Brass/copper, easier to weld) and cut it down (and seal up the cut tubes) to fit a intercooler core of your choice (probably custom) in there a few brackets to hold it and you are almost done.

Jeff

It would be better to make the radiator and intercooler separate. Then the intercooler could be wider, thereby having an actual advantage over the stock size. The wider 5/8 size radiator would require a remote filler up high like most cars these days. Something to think about. If you are really into it take the pics to a radiator shop, they could build one for less than you might think.

Vernon

Jimmy2coupes???

Any info on this? It is selling from your hometown isn't it?

I kind of like that IC/Rad.

It looks like it is made from older components (check out the DIS location). It might be prototype, (though Ford would Typically destroy any such thing when they are done testing, it might have "slipped out the back door" AKA stolen) But I don't think it was a proto for a 1996 SC. Maybe it was one of the early ones that went into the Fox Tbirds for testing before the MN12 chassis was available....

You can get new ones or rebuilt ones for $700? I wonder if that engine actually goes with that trans... guess it would make sense if it were an early model test engine... might be a great way to cheat on how to do an M5R2 to T5 or T56 conversion.

I think this srtup was in the turbo coupe chassis. I contacted the owner but he didn't have any info.

Jeff

Probably right, I remember reading somewhere that eary motor development was done in the Turbo Coupe chassis. That would also account for the hydraulic clutch.

There isn't much to putting a T-5 onto a 3.8, it's making the shifter come through the floor in the right area that is a problem with a T-5. That and getting it to live long.

Vernon

Andy, I don't have any info on this engine as I've just heard about it in this thread but I plan to find out what I can. In fact i'm going to try to arrange to see it in person. One interesting thing I noticed in the photo's is what appears to be what's left of a factory EGR setup that is on EGR equipped SC's. Would that be on a pre 89 prototype? The supercharger outlet and the combination radiator/intercooler are very interesting though.

Jimmy the '89 five speed cars debuted with EGR so that would be right considering it's attached to a T-5. When I first saw this it was actually a featured auction on an Ebay Motors Home page. I saw a little pic and a brief 3.8 Ford supercharged motor description and didn't even look at it, I was like "yeah yeah, ho hum". After the first page of my search loaded quiriousity got the best of me and I backed up and clicked on the pic. That's when I figuired out it was something different. I had no idea that anyone else in the community was in the same town. The fact that you are and will go to check it out and give us a report of your findings is very cool. The internet is something else. I'm looking forward to hearing back from you Jimmy, thanks.

Vernon

Jimmy, I suspected since the guy was in Adrian and was talking to a "super coupe club member" it might have been you. I guess not.

I noticed the EGR pieces too, but they were on both the first engines and the last ones. The guy seems to beleive it is a later experimental part from the description, but I think it is very early. I was thinking of paying it a visit too, it is probably a 45 minute drive for me. But if you are going, check out the labels, I see one on the back of a head, see what part numbers are on some of the things.

Anything with an E9 XXXX XX part number would be an early part, parts that changed for the later engines, like the cylinder head would have the F4 XXXX XX or whatever. The newest part number would give an idea when that was made. Any Ford Experimental parts should have a part number ends in EX, like E9-6220-EX.

I would look particularly for a part number on that blower top, I see something there, but I can't make out what. It is also very possible that this wasn't a Ford project, but something someone cooked up in their backyard. I think that type of intercooler/Rad setup was available in the aftermarket for Turbo coupes I beleive. The T5 is also obviously available in the aftermarket....I just don't know who could be casting their own one-off blower top...

The valve covers look like the old style. IF a prototype, it may be as old as 86. Or maybe someone will get lucky, and it is a prototype splitport under there.

If you think about it the guy probably got Super Coupe mixed up with Turbo Coupe. Lots of people think they quit making fast T-birds in '88 and that was the end of it. Some think my cars are turbo charged but most think it's a front wheel drive V8-LOL. This in his mind was probably for the next generation Turbo Coupe that as we all know was dropped and never replaced in '88-LOL. He talked to a Turbo Coupe guy maybe. He gets told that those were Super Coupe engines and doesn't know the difference. ETC.

Vernon

Back