Air Intakes preferrences

oxygen822

I have a stock '91 SC that I am thinking about putting an intake on. I also plan on having a custom built exhaust put on: dual 2.5's, either an X-pipe, or to a single 3" into a resonater, then to dual 2.5's back to a set of mufflers. I am wondering if the cold air intakes that are set down near the ground are better, or if there is any intake that any of you would suggest. I was thinking about the Magnum Powers Fresh Air Inlet System, or should I get one that relocates the filter closer to the ground?

Thanks for any advice you can give me

There are good arguments for both the under hood & under fender filter locations. Personally I have the under hood with a shield to eliminate the high under hood temperatures. I see Magnum now makes one of these for about $100 + the cost of your intake tube. The reason I prefer mine under hood is that I can see it (won't know if it's fallen off or covered in crud, when it's in the inner fender), also the shortest and straightest pipe give the best HP gain. I like the new Magnum set-up, because on mine (made a few years ago now) I had to fabricate a bracket to support the MAF & install an alum. shield (between the filter/maf and air compressor) with some pipe insulation on top to seal under the hood. Works great, but nicer to have a custom piece.

Back