Anyone painted their own SC? (possibly in Alabama)

sizemoremk

My paint is failing...

I would actually like to try painting it myself, as I have access to the local military auto hobby shop, where they have a paint booth, and all the equipment, but I know nothing about painting a car at all, and don't really know anyone that could guide through that kind of project.

Should I retire this option right now, or is this a pheasable option for someone with NO EXPERIENCE WHATSOEVER???

Is there a good video or book :confused:

If any of you in the North Alabama area could in any way help, that would totally kick rear end!

Last edited:
http://www.diy-compressors.co.uk/links.htm

I painted my SC back in 1997, but I also have a background in auto body, painting, and detailing. That link has some good general info if you want to take a crack at it.
If you decide to, email me for specific questions you may be hazy on, and I'll help you if I can.

It's a very involved and labor intensive undertaking, with many possible problems if you're not thorough in your details, and it's easy to get in over your head. I personally don't recommend a beginner start with a car he's passionate and picky about, because usually the first time isn't too wonderful, but, if you have the temerity...I guess anything's posssible with the right information. DAN H

onequiksc@cfl.rr.com

sclowproref.jpg

Last edited:
I have another post asking about the pheasability of using maaco... there are more details there about the flaking of my paint....

Well my neighbor has a Mazda RX7 with alot worse paint than mine that he said he'd be willing to try it if I try...Hopefully we can do his first:D

First off, how much does it cost? I would probably want to get my own paint sprayer and nozzles, etc, but the compressor and paint booth are all there at the hobby shop. What would I need to spend on a good sprayer?

I would assume I'd want to take it down to bare metal... what does that entail?

What would the paint and primer itself cost? And how expensive is it if I have to resand and start over if I screw up a section?

When I tape off the weather stripping and such, how would I ensure that the paint is making it into the crevases and such?
Like I said I beleive the car was painted before, and part of the part that was flaking was right at where the top edge windshield weather striping was... I think I actually caused that problem when I repainted that strip with grill paint... I scraped off the little remaining rubberized coating on that peice and painted the strip with the grill paint...I didn't realize at the time, but I assume that the last paint job may have overlapped onto that stripping and when I removed it, there was an edge of the paint exposed.

After taking it to the pressure washer, that area and a few other areas started flaking off... There was a spot in the middle of the roof where there must have been a nick that flaked off bigtime, about 3 inches accross, and I sanded it until the paint stopped flaking and filled it in with a few coats of touchup paint, but the color is not matched well at all, its a real smooth, unnoticable to the touch, transition, but the color doesn't match well at all, and I can still see the difference in either the clearcoat, or the different coats of paint....

I am generally really persistant in such endevours, for instance
I rebuilt my own transmission with a little guidance from this board, and ended up doing it twice because I broke an "overlapping tapperd" seal the first time, but once I got it done, I was truley satisfied, and actually proud of this feat :cool: Even though I did it twice, and came near to what it would've costed to have it done by a pro....

I will definatle consider doing this...

Is the primer surfacer, and primer steps something that can be done outside a booth, say in the driveway???

Is primer surfacer a different kind a primer, or is the primer surfacer an additional step???

Am I correct in assuming that only the final paint is done in the booth?

What kind of surfacer/primer did you use?

What kind of sealer?

What kind of paint did you use??? I am not after that deep a shine as yours, just whatever I would have to do to get it back to the original look...
I read that:

"Lacquer generally requires more time to apply — 8 to 24 coats — but is more forgiving in terms of application skill. It is also somewhat easier to repair runs and sags as well as spot-repair of later damage."

but also that:

"Catalyzed acrylic enamel and urethanes are extremely durable — more so than acrylic lacquer. "

How much of a difference in durability between these types, and is there much costs differences, given the additional coats that are used?

Thanks for the help!
If you would rather, I can emal you for other info...

Is the primer surfacer, and primer steps something that can be done outside a booth, say in the driveway???

Yes

Is primer surfacer a different kind a primer, or is the primer surfacer an additional step???

You want a 2k (2 part epoxy) primer -surfacer, it will fill in some leveling concerns and surface imperfections (to a point). You'll have to scuff it before you apply paint or sealer.

Am I correct in assuming that only the final paint is done in the booth?

I've never had access to a booth, I've done it all in a garage pretty much.

What kind of surfacer/primer did you use?

On my SC, I didn't use a primer surfacer because my paint was pretty flat and clean-no scratches or delamination etc. I simply scuffed the oem paint and applied the sealer.

What kind of sealer?

Acrylic sealer, tinted to the color I sprayed.

What kind of paint did you use??? I am not after that deep a shine as yours, just whatever I would have to do to get it back to the original look...
I read that:

"Lacquer generally requires more time to apply — 8 to 24 coats — but is more forgiving in terms of application skill. It is also somewhat easier to repair runs and sags as well as spot-repair of later damage."

but also that:

"Catalyzed acrylic enamel and urethanes are extremely durable — more so than acrylic lacquer. "

How much of a difference in durability between these types, and is there much costs differences, given the additional coats that are used?

I used DuPont ChromaBase urethane enamel. Forget about lacquer, (hard to obtain anymore anyway) it is easy to spray and buff but it's true that the durability doesn't even come close to today's urethanes. Use a urethane enamel with a hardener.

First off, how much does it cost? I would probably want to get my own paint sprayer and nozzles, etc, but the compressor and paint booth are all there at the hobby shop. What would I need to spend on a good sprayer?

This is harder to answer, because you'll first have to know what cfpm (and tank size) your compressor can deliver. If it isn't a good size compressor, it won't be able to keep up with the demands of a HVLP gun. You're probably better off buying a used DeVillbis, Binks or Sharpe siphon feed gun , they're pretty cheap (pawn shops etc.) and why sink a lot of money into a HVLP gun you may use only a couple times? You will use more paint (siphon feed guns spray almost as much into the air as onto the car) but it's a fair tradeoff considering the HVLP /compressor issues and gun prices. Make sure you don't use an excessively long air hose, you'll drop a lot of pressure with one.

What would the paint and primer itself cost? And how expensive is it if I have to resand and start over if I screw up a section?

These are the $$$ risks going in, the price of doing business as it were. Expect some problems and extra cash to remedy them, it's inevitable. How much is hard to say, you may have to buy a bit more paint, that's about it. The rest is simply your time and effort. From what you told me , you got a price on the paint. Just price a 2k epoxy primer/ surfacer and acrylic sealer , they should not be very expensive.

When I tape off the weather stripping and such, how would I ensure that the paint is making it into the crevases and such?
Like I said I beleive the car was painted before, and part of the part that was flaking was right at where the top edge windshield weather striping was... I think I actually caused that problem when I repainted that strip with grill paint... I scraped off the little remaining rubberized coating on that peice and painted the strip with the grill paint...I didn't realize at the time, but I assume that the last paint job may have overlapped onto that stripping and when I removed it, there was an edge of the paint exposed.

Buy 3M fine -line professional grade masking tape, don't " cheap out" on this, you'll regret it. As long as you take your time and tape perfectly even with the edges of trim etc. you'll be fine. Not rocket science, just make sure none of the tape is on the metal-better to remove some paint from trim than have a gap where there's no paint. You will also have to retape after primer and before the paint itself, otherwise , were you to spray the color coat you would have sanding dust from the primer imbedded along/under the tape from when you sanded the primer, and the air from the spray gun will shoot the dust all over your nice fresh paint. You can try and blow it out beforehand, but I guarantee you won't get it all.

After taking it to the pressure washer, that area and a few other areas started flaking off... There was a spot in the middle of the roof where there must have been a nick that flaked off bigtime, about 3 inches accross, and I sanded it until the paint stopped flaking and filled it in with a few coats of touchup paint, but the color is not matched well at all, its a real smooth, unnoticable to the touch, transition, but the color doesn't match well at all, and I can still see the difference in either the clearcoat, or the different coats of paint....

I am generally really persistant in such endevours, for instance
I rebuilt my own transmission with a little guidance from this board, and ended up doing it twice because I broke an "overlapping tapperd" seal the first time, but once I got it done, I was truley satisfied, and actually proud of this feat Even though I did it twice, and came near to what it would've costed to have it done by a pro....

You've hit on the big question there, and answered it. It's a learning experience and you can't put a price on that. Most of the time it's a lot less headache and only a bit more money to have a pro do it, but you lose the experience and pride factor. This stuff is not for everyone though.
I would STRONGLY recommend you get a free air system when you spray. Urethane hardeners contain isocyanates which are deadly compounds. It won't hit you right away, but later your lungs will just shut down. When you do spot repair and spray outside you can actually hold your breath for the few seconds you spray, then move out of the area. For larger panels and whole cars(especially in a booth/garage), this is not an option. I used a borrowed scuba tank when I painted my SC. It looked pretty funny, but I could breath fresh air.
In answer to your email question on how much paint you'll need-if you're painting the same color (simple repaint of same color) and not changing colors, a gallon should work just fine, unless you wind up with fisheyes or other problems necessitating a repaint of a panel or two.

You want to do "prep overkill". Do every step of degreasing, scuffing, masking to perfection, it makes ALL the difference. Dawn wash the car first, then use 3M prepsol (at least 2x) or equivalent, and also use an ammonia based window cleaner afterwards. If you have ANY silicone contamination on the paint, you WILL get fisheyes. Degrease, degrease, degrease.

If you decide to take any of it down to bare metal( use a stripper if you do, not sandpaper), make sure you first apply an etching primer, then a 2k epoxy primer (tinted if you like) then simply scuff and paint, no need for a sealer.

Last edited:
I have one of those wagner power sprayers, can I use it to spray the "2k (2 part epoxy) primer -surfacer" and "acrylic sealer", before doing the final color???? Or will it be too weak?

I am going to call and see if they provide the paint sprayer and what kind of air they're running, etc....

With the Urethane, is it a single stage, or separate base/clearcoats or your choice of either?
What are the pros copns to single stage vs base/clear separately?

I read a coupleof places that unless you are doing a metalic paint, the single stage is just as good....

How many coats of the paint (and clear) did you use??? From that picture, it looks like you may have a few clearcoats on it, but it might just be the an angle making it look extremely glossy...It looks really sharpe!

How forgiving is the urethane? I guess this will be answered to some extent in the number of coats that will be applied, but if its only a one coat deal, it will be alot more difficult not to screw it up...

The paint I priced at the Sherwin Williams website said that it was a single stage acrylic urethane...

I just picked it out becasue the descrition seeme to grab me more....there was absolutely no well thought out selection process in choosing that one, so I am not attached to it at all...
I'll use whatever is suggested to me by a couple of folks that know what they're doing....

I have one of those wagner power sprayers, can I use it to spray the "2k (2 part epoxy) primer -surfacer" and "acrylic sealer", before doing the final color???? Or will it be too weak?

I wish I could answer this one, don't know. Thing is...if you're gonna need a decent gun for the paint, why not just use it for the primer too?

I am going to call and see if they provide the paint sprayer and what kind of air they're running, etc....

With the Urethane, is it a single stage, or separate base/clearcoats or your choice of either?
What are the pros copns to single stage vs base/clear separately?
Acrylic urethane single stage and clearcoat urethane enamel are both the same paint. Only difference is the clear has no pigment.

I read a couple of places that unless you are doing a metalic paint, the single stage is just as good....

Given the same quality paint is used, yes. That's the durability/quality aspect, there are however, technical issues (read below on sanding)

How many coats of the paint (and clear) did you use??? From that picture, it looks like you may have a few clearcoats on it, but it might just be the an angle making it look extremely glossy...It looks really sharpe!

Thanks, I sprayed 4-5 coats of clear, primarily because I knew I'd be color sanding about 2 off when I blocked it to remove dirt/debris and orange peel.

How forgiving is the urethane? I guess this will be answered to some extent in the number of coats that will be applied, but if its only a one coat deal, it will be alot more difficult not to screw it up...
You want at least 2 coats minimum,or about 2MILs (a MIL is 1/1000th of an inch). 1 coat will leave you little room to buff and polish in the near and distant future, and that's not even mentioning scratch removal. Spray 2 coats.

The paint I priced at the Sherwin Williams website said that it was a single stage acrylic urethane...

I just picked it out becasue the descrition seeme to grab me more....there was absolutely no well thought out selection process in choosing that one, so I am not attached to it at all...
I'll use whatever is suggested to me by a couple of folks that know what they're doing....

The advantage of using a clear system is you can go back after it's sprayed and fix imperfections such as runs, dry-spray, orange peel and dust ...and end up with a good looking job. With single stage paint, you really can't sand and buff out the nasties the same way because of something called "pigment seperation" where the sanded run can be a different shade than the surrounding paint. Also, once you 'cut' SS paint, it will dull down quickly in that area a bit because there is a part of the paint that rises to the upper.5 of a mil and provides gloss and UV protection. Once you remove it by sanding, you have to polish it regularly to get that gloss back.
This is GOING to be a factor for you. EXPECT runs. I would go with base/clear. Clearcoat doesn't suffer from pigment seperation. Also realize, base/clear is the standard right now, it's the choice of professionals. You can save some $$$ on S/S paint over B/C , but for a beginner the risks outweigh the savings. If you could lay the S/S on flat and without runs and orange peel etc. I would say that's a good choice. But that's not gonna happen on your first try unfortunately.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Just a quick reply

It sounds like onequicksc has got you headed in the right direction with some excellent advice. Just a couple thoughts. There are some really good books out there. "How to paint your hot rod" by Boyd Coddington is one of the best for your skill level. You can get it from Amazon.com. It will expound on the info that onequicksc is giving you. Think of your primer coats as practice for the color coats. Your prep work and primer coats are the foundation of a good solid paint job. Would you build a house on a poor foundation? It sounds like you have the will to do it and will work hard at it. I think you will be succesful. I am going to paint my SC this summer, the same way that I did my previous car and motorcycle. I took it to the local college and used their booth. I used my own gun though. I have one for primer and one for color, but if you change the tips you can shoot both with the same gun.

Onequicksc: Nice paint and shine, looks like you spent some time wet sanding that clear to get it that reflective. Nice job.

Last edited:
Thanks Erich.
I'm a so-so painter, but a very good wet sander. Like everything in life, you get good at what you do most, and I do it on a regular basis in my detailing business.

Good luck with the SC this summer. Dan H

onequiksc said:

I wish I could answer this one, don't know. Thing is...if you're gonna need a decent gun for the paint, why not just use it for the primer too?

I don't have a compressor, but I have this wagner deal that I was hoping would work for the prep work.

The auto hobby shop I was talking about supplies the booth and the air compressor (they have industrial compressors, an claim that they are filtered an dried or whatever, but I would probably add whatever reguilator/filter/dryer type thing I can, just in case) as well as the sprayer I will buy.

I am wanting to get the HVLP type gun, and that requires alot more CFM from what I have read, and I can't afford a compressor big enough to use the HPLV gun.... and still be able to afford all the materials to paint and everything else....

The paint booth charge is $40 a day, and the regular shop bays cost a few bucks too, I was hoping I could do the priming and prep work here at the house. I feel like I could take more time and doa better job if I can step away and get a break in, etc..

I guess I will have to find someone with a good compressor, kind enough to let me borrow it, or just do it all at that shop.

Like I said, my neighbor has a Maza RX7 (or some kind of little 2 seater, rice burner) that needs painting also, and said if I would paint mine he would paint his...I like the idea of doing this with soemone else...and 4 eyes are always better than 2....

Do you think that with the more efficient HVLP, a gallon would paint a TBIRD and an RX7??? Doing a couple of coats?

And then a gallon and anther quart or so of Clearcoat for 3-4 coats??? That would make it alot more affordable, and I could split the paint and stuff with the neighbor, the other stuff (primers and sealers)is alot cheaper I assume...

As far as the paint I picked out of the air, again I had no reason for that decision, it was an acrylic urethane, and what you used was a urethne enamal.....I have no idea what the real difference is...what is the difference?

I was also wondering about the possibility of using an easier type (maybe even cheaper) paint and then using a more durable clearcoat, is this advised???

If I screw up on the base coat, do I sand the area, or that whole pannel again? Do I then wet sand that area? and for that matter, is it recommended to wetsand the entire basecoat in between the clearcoat? What kind of guidance can you give me on the wetsanding? I did get through to my primer while wetsanding 2 of my repairs. I'd kinda like to practice wetsanding some more before I do it on new paint! So I'll do a few coats of clear for this purpose as well! What compound do you use after wetsanding?

What should times between coats be?

Again I really appreciate your time in guiding me in the right directions!

Enough questions for now, if I thinkk of more I will not hesitate to ask:D

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Do you think that with the more efficient HVLP, a gallon would paint a TBIRD and an RX7??? Doing a couple of coats?

Doubtful

And then a gallon and anther quart or so of Clearcoat for 3-4 coats??? That would make it alot more affordable, and I could split the paint and stuff with the neighbor, the other stuff (primers and sealers)is alot cheaper I assume...

You will use approx. 1 1/2x as much clearcoat as basecoat. Basecoat only needs to be solid enough in color to hide the primer etc. Also, basecoat thinning ratio is usually 1:1 while clear (DuPont clears at least ) are 4 parts clear to 1 part activator, meaning although you will have as much base color to spray as you have clear, you're actually using LESS base color since half of the sprayable base mix is reducer. Hope that makes sense. In other words; 2 quarts of basecolor will=4quarts sprayable when thinned/reduced. 2 quarts clear will=just under 3 quarts sprayable when activator/hardener is added. This is true of DuPont at least. So factor that into your paint buying if spraying 2 cars.

As far as the paint I picked out of the air, again I had no reason for that decision, it was an acrylic urethane, and what you used was a urethne enamal.....I have no idea what the real difference is...what is the difference?
This explains it better than I can;

From Dave Shaeffer , Berkeley EDU;

Enamels: "One-Part" and "Two-Part"

Basically, enamels cure to some extent through evaporation, but they also cure by cross-linking of their molecules.

"One-Part" enamels (alkyd, or acrylic based):
Are fairly inexpensive, dry glossy so they don't require the hours of rubbing/buffing that lacquers do, but some (particularly the "bargain" brands) don't last long, and can loose their gloss after only a few months of exposure to the sun.

Non-Clear coated "Two-"Part" (catalyzed) enamels (epoxy or polyurethane, or acrylic urethane, and others):
Though technically considered enamels, could be considered in their own category due to their special characteristics. These are paints like IMRON, and are polyurethane enamels. They set-up (cure) fast, are very resistant to solvent damage. The down side. Very difficult to touch-up/repair (especially if metallic and/or pearl), very expensive, very toxic and, because they dry very fast, if you're not careful (and quick), you can find yourself with a gun full of hardened paint, which can get expensive at $250.00 to $500.00 a gun.

Base Coat/Clear Coats: Not to be confused with "Two-Part" paints:
These are "Two-(or more)Step" paints, which can be either "One-part", or "Two-Part" paints. Remember, lacquers dry through evaporation (be they one or two _step_) and enamels dry through evaporation _and_ chemical cross-link. So, what's that mean Howard?? It means that a lacquer can be a "Two-(or more) Step" (base, metallics and/or pearls, and clear) paint, but it is _always_ a "One-Part" (no catalyst) paint. While enamels can be a "One-Step" (no clear coat), or a "Two-Step" (or more, ie. color, metallic and/or pearl coat and clear coat), and _either_ a "One-Part" (no catalyst), or "Two-Part"(catalyzed) paint. Most good (and most common) enamels are "Two-Part"(catalyzed). A good example of a non-catalyzed enamel would be model paint. It cures through _some_ evaporation, but primarily through chemical cross-link, though at a very slow rate when compared to a catalyzed enamel.

I was also wondering about the possibility of using an easier type (maybe even cheaper) paint and then using a more durable clearcoat, is this advised???

I wouldn't. Stick to the systems that were engineered to work with each other. No surprises then.

If I screw up on the base coat, do I sand the area, or that whole pannel again? Do I then wet sand that area? and for that matter, is it recommended to wetsand the entire basecoat in between the clearcoat? What kind of guidance can you give me on the wetsanding? I did get through to my primer while wetsanding 2 of my repairs. I'd kinda like to practice wetsanding some more before I do it on new paint! So I'll do a few coats of clear for this purpose as well! What compound do you use after wetsanding?

You don't want to sand the basecoat at all if you can help it. If you get a run or dirt etc.-You can allow the basecoat to dry a bit (1/2 hour), sand it down in that area, and respray the basecoat. Pretty easy and painless. But no, you're not supposed to sand the basecoat before you apply clear.

What should times between coats be?

Varies by manufacturer. DuPont Chroma is 5-10 minute flash between basecoats, then you wait 15-30 before spraying the clear. Then 10 min or so before you can spray another coat of clear. Don't worry, the lable on the paint will tell you exactly what the flash times are.

Mike Albee (believe it's him i'm thinking of) and Bdevlin (Bushwacker) both have done or are doing this for a living, you may want to look them up also for anything I may have missed.

If you like, you can also email me and give me your phone #...I can call you on my cell ( I have lots of free nightime and weekend minutes) and address anything esle you're hazy on. Glad to help if I can. Dan H

Last edited:
Regarding the wetsanding

I just noticed I hadn't addressed that.

This is something you will need to do if you're using base/clear. Most pros will tell you single stage shouldn't be wet sanded due to the "die back" (loss of gloss after wet sanding on S/S) as I explained earlier. This is why i'm trying to point you into the direction of using base/clear. You'll have some sags, runs and dirt along with orange peel ( I guarantee it) in the finish. and you may as well choose the most user friendly paint type for sanding. That's clearcoat. You may only do this once, may as well do it with the best chance of success, and a paint job you'll be proud of.

Here is my link from the TBSCEC FAQ I wrote on wet sanding. Read it and let it sink in. It's not difficult to do, you just have to have patience, and follow the procedures. You won't be wet sanding the clear for at least 2 weeks after you have painted. Solvents have to off-gas for a while, and the paint is too soft initially. If you try too soon, you'll get a loss of gloss, or "die-back".

http://pub29.ezboard.com/fthunderbirdscenthusiastclubfrm13.showMessage?topicID=129.topic

Last edited:
Dan-
I have a question for you regarding prep. The SC trim work, i.e front and rear windows, and up over the roof seems to be attached with adhesive and not clips. My questions about it are this:
1. How do you remove it?
2. Does it get damaged when removing?
3. Can you still buy new stuff if it gets damaged.

I am especially worried about the ones the run over the edges of the roof. The stuff down on the doors is simple, it will pull away safely I think. Thanks Dan.

Never removed those Erich

The window mouldings and the black anodized metal strip along the roof I just taped off (I took most of the car apart but I drew the line there, same as a body shop would) so I can't help you on that.

I know others have replaced those, so maybe someone else can chime in on just what to do. May want to post at TBSCEC if you don't get an answer here.

You're right about the B/S door mouldings, they're pretty easy off/on.

Dan-
Yeah, I can see taping off the anodized aluminum strips, but the problem I have is with the rubber roof moldings that run from the back window to the front windshield. Before I bought the car, it had been touched up on one side and blended up to that molding where they had taped it off. Well, it left a clearcoat edge butting up to the tape line and over time the clearcoat had begun to flake away. I wanted to avoid this if possible, and I know that a good clean job would probably avoid future incidents, but I wanted to make sure by removing those. Also helps when sanding. Thanks for the input. Hopefully someone will have done it and can give us their opinon. Take it easy.

Thanks onequiksc! I sure do appreciate all your time!

I just read through your wetsanding howto, and seen where I screwed up by NOT folding back the edges, NOT presoaking, and going in straight lines (all parallel, no "X")...

I also go t through to the primer in few spots, and played hell trying to get those areas filled back in with touchup paint...

After that I used a heavy cut 3m rubbing compound with a 9" orbital buffer, and used half the bottle on the hood and roof alone, and still have sanding marks :(

I didn't really sand much, used the 2000 grit,except for the 600 grit I used on the parts I touched up (where I got the the primer on a few spots) I just went over the roof and hood very lightly to blend in the sanded spots..., so I hope I can redo it.

In my own defense, I already had panit flaking off, so there was no real concern for saving a good paintjob....or I'd have found a good howto prior..looking back I should have anyways....

What kind of gun do you recommend....one of the paint guys told me that as long as I wasn't already used to a regular type spray gn, that the HVLP gun would be best, and the other guy said I'd end up with lots of runs....

That guy suggested a self "etching primer", and a "2k primer/sealer" and the "Matrix" urethanes... basecoat and Ultra-gloss clearcoat....he said 2 coats of base, and 3 clears...

I am also thinking about renting a compressor if I can't borrow one to do the priming... and I also want to be able to use the same gun with both.. Can you sugets a particular gun and nozzle selection??? I mean I see harbor feight with 10 different guns, and even sears has a HVLP gun for $99 or should I use a regular type??? And shoudl I look for siphon feed, or gravity feed or whatever.....

Back