Detonation

hytorksc

Can spark plug wires cause part throttle detonation? Worn or burned out wires causing a voltage leak, shorting out, or crossfiring during part throttle acceleration? Can this also cause detonation?

Last edited:
thank you-

thank you for responding. I'm actually running 1 heat range colder plugs by torquemaster in california. i like the plugs, but there seems to be just a very narrow rpm band that i hear detonation (right around 3200 rpm) and anything above and below this i hear nothing. no matter what i do it just doesnt go away. at least its not severe, more like a moderate pinging sound. and it's not the maf, i changed it back to stock to test- it's still there. i dont have egr either. fuel pressure is on the high side too (probably runs a little rich overall). this doesnt make any sense to me- maybe it's carbon deposits in one of the cylinders because the engine runs very strong and responsive- no significant bog downs. it pulls hard even with the short term detonation. maybe my timing advance is just messed up in the computer.

Back