Jeff's F'd up Sat night (at home)

J57ltr

Jeff's F'd up Sat night (at home)Pic added

Well, Tonight started out just like any other layed back Saturday night. My plans were to work on some stuff over at the shop (My work is across the street). My friend Chuck calls and says he needs to make a bracket so he came over and parked behind My Old Ladies Lumina which is parked behind El Diablo. The SC is parked next to El D but at a right angle and facing the house. The house is on the corner of a 4 lane road separated by a median.

Chuck and I grab the piece he needs to make a bracket for out of his van. Then we set out across the street. About the time we get into the median I hear screeching tires and spin around to see what was going on. I lock onto a car that is screaming into the median about 400' from where we are standing. It clears the median and I can tell things are going to suck for someone. All I can hear is Chuck yelling "The Van, The Van!” Sure enough it slams into the rear of the van causing it to spin and ends up in the brick flower box in front of the garage the fender against the house. Then it burst into flames! Big roaring ball of flame! The whole rear of the van was on fire, flames licking at the side windows. I thought to myself "I don't think I can handle this, it's too much". Alicia opens the door about the time the van lights up and I hear one hell of a scream. I ran as fast as I could across the street and thought "I don't have a fire extinguisher, this is a gas fire what am I going to do?” I decided the only thing I could do was spray a lot of water on it. I grabbed the hose as I made it into the yard and turned it on. About that time I realize that, hey there was another car involved where is it? I see went up against the tree in the middle of my yard, and it looks like the tree won. About this time I start to notice people milling about in my yard and a couple of people are tending to the guy in the car. I am still trying my hardest to at least keep the fire under control and I actually got it down to just what was pouring out of the split tank. Then I hear a guy holler at me saying the other car is on fire. The driver was still in the car. I ran over there (all of this is going on in an area about 25' in diameter) and started spraying water inside the car. I reached inside and tried to shut the ignition off but the keys were gone. So I just flooded the car with water. Then I notice that the rear of the van (which is about 5’ from the garage is back at it again. My friend Chuck is on the phone with 911 and is no where to be found. My neighbor comes over with an extinguisher but it doesn’t work. About this time there is a pretty good BOOM! I flinch and realize it was just the a tire so I keep spraying it with water and get it back down to where it was when I left the other tire goes and I see every take cover again. . A guy comes up with a good extinguisher and gets the pouring river of flame put out. I kept putting some water on it to keep it from flaring up again. About this time the fire department gets there and tends to the hurt driver. I felt kinda bad that I didn’t go to help him immediately but I guess you can only take care of so many things at once. I think the guy is going to be alright a little blood here and there but what do you expect when you fly over a curb at 70mph and slam into a Parked van and a tree. He wasn’t wearing a seat belt, didn’t have a license. He is a Mexican guy about 20 years old and I’m sure he doesn’t have insurance. A couple of people said he threw something out in the grass but I didn’t find it. I don’t know if the guy was drunk or what. One lady said that some red truck was chasing him. For all I know he was racing.

So how was your night?

Jeff

I have pics too. I'll post them as soon as I figure out how to get them from the laptop to this computer.

Last edited:
May you live in interesting times. Sounds like you had one great time tonight man. Sorry.

Yikes dude! I thought cars only blew up in the movies. Damn, that sucks all around. I guess just be glad you were in the median, huh? Wow.

Thanks guys. Well looks like the Lumina got clipped as well. The van took out the left rear tail light. It's weird because the bumpercover wasn't touched. There is also a mark on the dr side rear door that looks like the van hit there as well but there is just a scratch no dent. After thinking about if it had only been about 10 seconds earlier Chuck and I were getting a part out of the van and about 2 minutes earlier Chuck was sitting in the van finishing off a burger. If the Van had not been where it was the Saturn would have smashed into the garage or the living room. The SC would have been on the classified section and we would have been out of a house. Just found out the guy that hit us doesn't have insurance. We have full coverage on the Lumina but Chuck's parents dropped everything but liability. Great out of 3 Mexicans the one that caused the accident didn't have insurance.

Damn Mexicans!

Jeff

Wow, what a night! Glad the house didn't catch on fire somehow. You did the right thing not messing with the guy. Unless you're a doctor, don't move him. Best thing you could do is tend to the fire, which obviouly kept things from escalating--a lot. I've been there with the car parked at home hit by the uninsured driver deal. In my case, he was just flat drunk. Glad everyone's okay.

Yeah Jeff called me up just after things calmed down and says, "Man you will never quess what just happened!". After he told me I thought, "No lie."

He's telling me the same story over the phone and I'm really freakin out because the only tree I can remember is behind his disabled SC. He keeps telling how bad the Van is and his house almost burned down, the Saturn is wrapped on his tree, etc. So after a while I say "Hold on! What about the SC?" He says "Oh it's fine it didn't get hit" So I asked "How did the Saturn t-bone the tree and miss the SC" He says "No the tree in front of the garage." I think for a second and say "Ohhh, well who gives a **** about the Van as long as the SC isn't toasted! Vans we got!" We both had a good laugh. I'm glad Jeff, Alicia, and Chuck were not hurt. Too bad about Chuck's van. Really sucks that the guy didn't have insurance and the van didn't have full coverage.

I think about all the wrecks that happen in that strech of boulivard and it was bound to happen sooner or later. Usually they are going the other direction and loose it in that curve hitting poles and curbs. As many times as Jeff and I have been in his driveway wrenching under cars at all hours it's actualy kinda scary. Also that's the exact spot where the Houston blower crew has been holding meets. Imagine if there had been 8 or more SC's parked there last night and all got wadded up and went down in flames because of some ***** ******** *** **** in a ******* Saturn out ****** his ****. The loss would have never been forgotten. (In the Hindengburg radio voice): "Oh the machinery!"

Vernon

Don't take me wrong this was bad, but I know Jeff and right now he's ROTFLHAO, he loves that quote.

I'm playing Junior Accident Investigator right now. I can't figure out how Exactly the van came to rest where it did and how it just kissed the Lumina without causing anymore damage. It's puzzling. Gotta run Gary is here with his wrecker. Since the bumper is flat and it looks like someone gave the van a wedgee it's going to be fun to figure out how to pick it up since the rear tires are flat and melted.

Thanks

Jeff

Holy chit !! and i was whining about being at home with a cold on the weekend..... Jeff,glad you and yours are ok,that you don't have a van in your living room,and that you live across the street from your shop or you might have been in the line of idiot fire.

Jeff

does he have uninsured motorist on the the van? I don't believe you are required to have full coverage to get it. Not much more either..
Thankfully the only one hurt was the guy who caused it. Better than someone run over or the guy parked in the house.

Good luck

Wow! That was close. Glad you all came out unscathed. Do we need to have a home improvement painting meet or yard work co-op to rake Saturn parts?
Homeowners insurance will probably take care of anything lacking in car insurance. And, yes uninsured motorist protection is available on cars with liability only (if you request it). Had my 93 SC's front hood and airdam r&r'ed and painted because of a pickup backing into it at Home Depot and running off. Uninsured Motorist covered it.

Thanks Steve, How you bean? I did get to keep the hood emblem.

Wezar Thay only have Liability. Father in law is our agent so I'll check on our policy.

The van actually moved through a right hand 270 deg rotation landing against the garage. There are small chips in the paint from when the Saturn's window exploded on impact it's pretty wild.

Ihave to figure out how to resize the pics seems to be too big or something.

Attachments

• gotta hurt.jpg
    gotta hurt.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
That 7-10 split's a bitch!

Attachments

• final approach.jpg
    final approach.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
Wow! That is totally unbelievable, not only the wreck, but it would have suck if that dude took out HBC Roadhouse! Glad to see that you and Alicia weren't hurt, how bad was the fire, much damage to the roadhouse? Damn, I thought my weekend suck'd because I had the Flu!

Nice pictures, love the 7-10 split! Just realized that is exactly where I park when I'm there! That would have SUCKED!

Calvin

The fire was pretty bad about $10 dollars worth of bad.

Toasty!

Attachments

• toasty.jpg
    toasty.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 222
My friend Gary hauling off the ban. You can see some of the leaves on this tree are scorched

Bye bye ban

Attachments

• byby ban.jpg
    byby ban.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 125
Holy crap! Glad to hear you're ok!

Stupid Al. I told him he needed to get insurance if he insisted on driving while high on those cat tranquilizers...

What the heck is that? Green grass? Trees with Leaves? What country do you live in.?

(10 " of snow 10 miles south of my house yesturday and 36 degrees today. I want spring! brrr.)

Back