Help!

35th_tbird

i just replaced my radiator yesterday and a small hose that is below and behind the upper rad hose today. the hose has something to do with coolant, that's what was leaking out of it. i let my car run for a little and it started to smoke at the rad, then from under the tb, also. i think the rad smoke was excess coolant that got on the outside because that stopped, but the smoke from under the tb kept going. could that also be excess coolant that hasn't burned off yet or should i be worried something else is going to happen? i would like to be able to drive my car again, i really miss it and it's only been down a couple of days. thanks in advance for any help. one day i will learn enough about these cars (or cars in general) to stop asking questions every time something goes wrong, but until then, please bear with me. thanks again!
cory

Hello. It could just be excess.. take a flashlight and look in the area of the throttle body.. any green coolant spills there should be readily visible. There aren't many other options for smoke from that area due to coolant, actually.

Well from that area, I suppose it could be a small pin leak from the upper radiator hose shooting over onto a heated surface. If the area is uncertain, it could also be a bad radiator cap or the lower radiator hose. One last thing, is the oil intercooler. This device passes radiator coolant & engine oil through seperate plastic chambers for cooling. It could be leaking coolant, I think its found closer to the bottom of the engine bay.

Just to check for internal coolant leaks from the headgaskets, open your oil filler & look for foam or light discoloring. Check your coolant for brown or black streaks, and open your oil-dipstick to look for significant smoke or foam. This will eliminate this possibility.

I hope that helps at least a little!

Have the system pressure tested, that will expose any leaks in the hoses, rad, and heater core because it could be a pinhole in the hose going the the heater. Good luck

Back