I Really Need Some Help!!!!!!!

twindragons187

ok, let me start this off with, i've been looking at this site for along time...ok.....this is how the story goes.

i traded my 1990 Pontiac Firebird last year for a 35th Anniversary Thunderbird. i drove it for bout 3 months and someone sugered and mothballed my gastank. then my head gasket blew at 140,000 miles....and i had my brother -in- law's brother fix it. i gave him the money to get the heads shaved 20 thousands and he never did. i think he just put a straight edge to the heads and figured that they weren't worped. so he cleaned them up and put them back on, and charged me 900.00 plus parts witch was 150.00 for the gaskets and another 45.00 for the head bolts and another 50.00 to get the heads shaved, but never did it. now, when the temp guage worked, it read up in the o to m range. when i first got it, it never went off the n. so i went out and got a 180 stat and a aftermarket fan relay, now, the temp guage don't work, its NEW. and this winter, i was tryin to get it unstuck and i blew out the tranny, but i can get a new rebult one for 200.00. i also used to only get between 11 and 12 pounds of boost, and now i'm gettin 13 to 14 pounds....and the motor has alot more power. i also got the doull ram air hood for it, paid 60.00 for it...i know i got a steal. what should i do?? i also have a 1989 Taurus SHO i was thinkin bout takin it to the junk yard to swap it for a new motor....b/c i've already put over 2000.00 into the car. could some one please tell what i should do?? i'm running out of money and pacience...thanx

duston

13 PSI is where you should be for a stocker.

You are probably running hot because it's low on coolant. Let it run for a while drive it around the block (get on it a little) and park it. Shut off the ignition and let it set for a few hours. Make sure the overflow is topped off (do this first b4 driving it). Repeat a couple of times. Make sure to check the overflow level, if it runs dry then you have to start over.

About the heads. What are you going to do? Not much you can do now.

Jeff

Well, in my opinion, it would be a bad idea to put that hood on the car unless you have somewhere to store the factory hood without damaging it. These 35th Anny SC's are worth quite a bit of money, especially if they are all original (try to keep it original and take care of it). They are very rare cars. I've only seen 3 in person, and I own one of those three.

i was told that the 35th were kinda rare....i have the origonal hood that goes with it, even with the blue outlined bird in the front....i'm gonna keep it all origonal but right now i need something to drive....so i think i'm gonna trade my SHO for a new tranny and motor....i plan on keepin the origonal and rebuilding the tranny and doin a complete rebuild on the motor, maybe even bore it a little.....one question, whats the safest you can shave the heads?? i was told you don't want to shave them or port and polish them b/c of cylinder pressure....thats y the mechanic didn't shave them like i asked......and on the heating issue, all the fluid is topped off, and all the air pockets r out that i know of....and the only time the temp guage goes down a little is when the fan kicks on at around 220 i believe... i'm thinkin it has to do with the heads...maybe worped a little, or even internally cracked?? who knows?? thanx for any info from u guys or girls?? really don't know these days???.........lol.......O you guys also talk alot bout how fast the stockers go??....i know that wid mine, in drive, not overdrive, i can over peg 120 at 3500 rpm and i've took it to 5300 rpm and didn't have a problem....so, how fast do you think that would be?? just curious....

duston

From reading your note..I would suggest you buy a new car of some sort and quite wasting all your cash !

About the "high" temp

I have a similar issue with my car. I resealed the upper 1/2 of my engine and in the process, the wire for the temp sending unit broke. I replaced the unit with one from O'Rielly's I think. After that, it always reads in the O to M range where-as before, just like you, it read in the N range. I think that it is the difference in the sending unit to be honest. I am going to go on the safe side and wire my fan to run on high while the car is on. This should solve all my cooling problems for now. Like you, I am a little concerned about the higher temp reading, but wiring up the fan is a relatively cheap and simple task. I would not trade the SHO for a motor from the junk yard though. But that is just my opinion.

Back