For Those Running Zex kits.

89_Red_Xr7

hello all, i just bought a used zex kit for the cougar and had some questions for y'all.
i know that the nozzle needs to be placed after the act sensor, but where exactly is the act sensor?

when i got the kit, it had everything but the bulkhead fitting, can i just buy a bulkhead fitting by itself or am i screwed?

the kit came with 4 jets... how do i tell how big of a shot each nozzle gives?

sorry about the list,

Andrew:cool:

ACT sensor is early in the intake system, I think it is by the TB. Not sure exactly where though. I would put the nozzle in the final bend in the intake plenum right before the intake. No need for a bulkhead fitting then, just drill and tap and screw in the nozzle. I also think Zex is going to be the best place to tell you which nozzle is which.

The Air Charge Temperature sensor is after the SC and after the Intercooler outlets on the intake plenum just past the IC tube flange connection near the firewall. It's labeled in the diagram linked below:

Engine Bay Locations

Last edited:
ok, thanks, now as i look at the "nitrous Control module" i see that there are 2 nipples for what look like vacuum lines, one says regulator and one says intake.
i assume that the "regulator" goes to the fuel pressure regulator, but where do i attach it?
and the "intake"... where should i hook that up?
thanks
Andrew

the ragulator as it sits has a line that goes from it to the intake, put the line on the NMU (big purple box) from the one that says regulator, to the FPR. Put the one that says intake to the nipple where the FPR used to plug in.

Didn't the kit come with instructions?

thanks all!
no the kit didnt come woth instructions, i bought and a 1500 psi guage used for $350 from a guy who forgot to jet the line and blew his ranger to bits!:eek:

Andrew:cool:

doncha love smart people.... lol

anyways... the jetting sizes for the hp # is as follows:

Fuel Nitrous HP

36 32 55
34 35 65
32 38 75

there ya go. The little brass jets should have numbers on the sides of them (little tiny) you know where the jets go right?

heres where mine is mounted also:

zex2.jpg

The gauge is not necessary buy its a good Idea to have.
The jets are calculated to work with a specific amount of pressure from the bottle it the bottle is too warm the pressure will increase if the bottle is cold then the pressure will decrease.
So the gauge tells you at what pressure the bottle is at.
So you don't run lean or rich.
If you have a bottle heater and blanket then it really not necessary

ricardoa1 said:
The gauge is not necessary buy its a good Idea to have.
The jets are calculated to work with a specific amount of pressure from the bottle it the bottle is too warm the pressure will increase if the bottle is cold then the pressure will decrease.
So the gauge tells you at what pressure the bottle is at.
So you don't run lean or rich.
If you have a bottle heater and blanket then it really not necessary

This is why zex is so great, it reads your bottle pressure and will adjust it accordingly. for example: your bottle pressure is high, it will richen the mixture so it doesn't run lean.

As far as my chart goes, its a combination of the two jets. As you may or may not know, two jets are used. One goes in the line to the regulator (thats why it has that vac nipple that screws onto it instead of just a vac nipple sticking out like the other one) the "fuel" jet is the one that goes in there. You put it in and screw that nipple fitting on over it. The nitrous jet goes inbetween the purple sprayer and the nitrous feed line.

nice install gooey! i'm gonna drill and tap for the nozzle tomorrow and was wondering if you took your return plenum of when you tapped for your line? if you didnt take the plenum off how did you keep from getting metal shavings etc. into the engine?

andrew

hey...what did you do about your plugs? Did you go cooler with the autolites? ZEX has special plugs, but they dont make them for our cars. What about your fuel system? I just got my ZEX kit and I dont want to run lean at all. Right now I have a stock modded MAF, 75mm TB, 5% pulley, IC fan, full exhaust with no cats. I also have a 255 fuel pump and stock injectors. I was wondering what mods you have. I dont want to run lean and need to know if you are doing ok with your set-up. I dont know if i should get 38lb or 42lb injectors and a new MAF, or leave it stock. Or even if i should leave the injectors stock and get an AFPR and add a little more fuel for the stock injectors.

i would get injectors just to be safe. As far as plugs i was using the stock plugs with 190lph fuel pump and stock injectors. Mods at the time were:

Mac intake w/9" filter, flowmaster catback exhaust w/stock manifolds and no cats, mildly ported heads, 5-angle valve grind, t-bird tim raised top, 3:55's, transgo shift kit, all stock internals, 9mm ford racing wires, uhh... probably a few other things but those are the major ones.

The plugs looked slightly hot when removed, so it wouldn't hurt to go a range or two colder. I would get another plug other than platinum (nitrous doesn't like plats). The only ones i can think of that i know run good are the NGK ( i use NGK TR55-IX) or denso iridiums. Get the plug that is shorter than stock (acts like a heat range colder, and with the ground strap not being as far into the combustion chamber, it wont turn into a glow plug and cause detonation)

And as far as drilling the plenum, i didn't take it off. Just coat the drill bit and tap in grease, that way any scraps of metal should stick to it.

I haven't ran it on the new motor, becuase i know i need bigger injectors now with more mods.

good luck :)

Back