PDA

View Full Version : Crank Help please

blksc
04-07-2003, 11:11 AM
Hey gang, i am trying to figure out whats up with my crank sensor. When i put the key on the on postion,but engine off my upshift light doesnt come on. when i start the car it doesnt come on then go out, and when im rev'ing the crap out of it it doesnt buzz or come on.. Any clues ? this is a 94SC auto. Im the second ownder.

BlackbirdSC
04-07-2003, 11:39 AM
I didn't think the auto's used the upshift light, only 5spds. Could be wrong though, I've only had 2 SCs and both were 5spds. Only been in a auto once.

blksc
04-07-2003, 11:56 AM
Yea, very interesting. I'd like to get more feedback from out brotheren. I wonder if the light is just a carry over item from the manuals. Like ford just use the same clusters and lights for all models. I scan my car for codes regularly and i dont have any codes relating to the sensor.

pastera
04-07-2003, 12:29 PM
The upshift light does work on an auto (89) I have personally tested it :D.

If it does not come on when you turn the key on but don't start, then look at the light bulb.

Once you get the light to come on when you turn the ignition on, take the car out to a nice long run. Hammer it and hold until you get to about 95-100 (MPH), the light will pop on telling you to get off the gas so it can shift. The tranny cannot handle a shift into overdrive at WOT. Personaly, I look at it as a 'hey idiot your looking for a BIG ticket' signal.

If the engine runs then the crank sensor is OK. If the engine cuts out on you with a period of crank/no-start then you may be loosing the sensor. The real test is if the light goes out while cranking, then you know the computer is getting a signal from the crank sensor.

Aaron

blksc
04-07-2003, 01:08 PM
Hmm i guess the light build could be out. i'll check that. The only cranking problem i have is the usual hard starting or rough idle on a hot day. I'll be reseating my ignition module or replacing it soon