A/C Compressor Clutch

J

JimGravelle

A/C Compressor Clutch

Hi!

Has anyone ever taken their A/C Compressor Clutch assembly apart? If so, can you briefly explain the procedure? Please try to address the following question also:

1. Is the main front bolt a reverse thread?
2. How do you loosen the bolt while preventing the whole thing from spinning?
3. Can the bearing be easy removed from the pully, or do I need a pulley puller?

Thanks for you help!

Jim.

Re: A/C Compressor Clutch

Jim, sorry I didn't get an answer for you on this topic today ... lots going on at work as usual on Fridays, and the other guy who works with me in the Parts Dept. is leaving to go to another dealership. Guess he couldn't put up with my grumpiness any more. So of course he wasn't too motivated to pitch in today, he can be a bit of a slacker at the best of times.

I think Wayne has some experience with the A/C clutches, hopefully he will post a reply here.

cheers
Ed N.

AC

Jim
I have done this. There are two different shafts one is 21 spline, the other is 16 I think.
I can't remember this exactly now, I am at the cottage.
But I could look tomorrow. This is clearly shown in the factory manual.
I have a very good used compressor with the wrong splines for the pully (8rib) from another parts car.
I have not had to work this out further yet - mine in the car is still fine - knock on wood.
Later

Re: AC

Peter,

Does the different shaft types impact the disassembly of the clutch? For instance, is the bolt reverse threaded? I heard somewhere that it might be. Kind of important when it comes to knowing which way to turn it. ;)

Where is Wayne's feedback when you need it! (hint, hint...nudge, nudge) :)

Jim.

Back