PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger problem

livn
04-07-2003, 08:21 PM
I just finished rebuilding my engine and its all back together but theres a problem with the supercharger. when i start it up its fine, but after about 10 or so seconds of idling the s/c starts to make a strange noise and the check engine light comes on. any idea of what this could be? are there bearings inside that are maybe causing this? i checked the s/c fluid level and it was pretty low so i filled it up and started it once and it still does it. im not sure if i should let it run for a while to let the new fluid circulate or i should just disconect the s/c belt and leave it off for now (by the way, would running car without s/c cause problems) until i figure out what to do.
also, does the check engine light come on if you battery is pretty much dead? i mean i can barely get one start out of it. i was thinking that maybe that the dead battery is causing the light to come on, doesnt seem to make sense that it would come on for a noisy sc.

35th_tbird
04-07-2003, 08:41 PM
try checking the EEC for codes. the check engine light tells you that it has info for you...then you'll know what the problem is. the battery doesn't make sense to me, seeing as it has its own light, but i've been wrong before with my car so you never know. either way definitely check for codes. hope this helps.
cory

35th_tbird
04-07-2003, 08:44 PM
oh, and as for the supercharger noise, that might be something internal. like a bearing or something. have you checked the sc fluid? that might tell you something without having to
take the blower apart <- (not recommended). again, hope this helps.

vancouverBC
04-07-2003, 09:11 PM
Could the noise be from a bad SC belt tensioner because sometimes they chatter when going bad. The SC Snout takes about 6oz. to fill when bone dry, so how much did you put in to top it off? If it was dry for a long time, the bearings could have gotten over heated and are the most common cause of noise from inside. Use a listening device to find out where the noise is coming from. Good luck