Where do I start with no AC ???

sizemoremk

I can tell the "fuzz" around some of the lines, so I guess I should replace the lines or seal on them first....

How do it test to see if the compressor is even comming on???

And can I get a price check on a compressor???

Get a recharge kit from an auto parts store. They are usually around $40. It comes with all the fittings, hose, oil, and r-134a freon you will need.

I'd start with a leak test kit. Obviously it leaked out somewhere. Look under your front bumper and make sure your condensor (looks like a radiator) isn't busted up. Then look behind your throttle body at the accumulator and make sure its not cracked. Run some leak test through it, and it should kick the compressor on for a few seconds when it takes a charge. Then you will see a red dye seeping out through any leaks in the system.

If all is good, use the recharge kit. The compressor has a safety switch that won't kick it on if there is no freon in the system otherwise it can burn itself up. So to tell if its working you'll need to fill the system.

Price check? Well you can get the complete unit or just the clutch assembly. I don't know a price off the top of my head, call an auto parts store and ask them.

Same problem with mine. Pressure checked out ok, spent almost $300 to get it recharged (R-12) and worked great...for 2 weeks and then lost all the freon. Now I'm back to square 1. I'm going to reseal the entire system. I've also heard that the compressors that were in the T-bird (pre R-134) were less than quality stock. From what I understand, the R-134 runs at a higher compression than the R-12. The older compressors have a difficult time with this pressure and burn out. But that is just what I have heard, no first-hand experience. I trust the source though. I plan on going the safe route and getting a rebuilt compressor and convert to the R-134 at the same time. (Replace the dryer as well)

Back