dr. fred 520 cam questions

blksc

To those of you that have this cam, how does this cam impact drivability ? Also if this cam were going into 94sc with ported heads would i have to adjust my stall speed on ??

Its a very torquey cam.. Drivability is very, very, good with this cam. Lots of down low torque, and strong mid-range.

I have the .520 cam, so have a look at my dyno graph.. This is with stock sized valves, light port and polish on the heads, an S-model, 10% MP plenum and stock exhaust manifolds.

schalldyno.jpg

Nearly 350 rwtq available at 1,800 rpm.. Torque curve is nice and flat, horsepower rises at nearly a 45* angle.. A picture perfect curve..

I have yet to dyno since the Magnaport blower, SCP mid-length headers, and true dual 2.5" exhaust.. I'm expecting 360rwhp ish..

The cam also is pretty happy with the stock chip, which is rare for some aftermarket cams.

Gas mileage is not too bad.. I see about 13.5-14 around town in my '92 5 speed with the more than occasional WOT session :)

Its too bad he had so many problems getting these cams done in a timely manner, because its a damn good cam.. I firmly belive that cam is the reason I'm dynoing higher than many CMRE Stage II engines, even with the small valves..

Jeramie

Last edited:
I am running a Dr. Fred .520 lift cam also. Drivability didn't seem to be negatively effected by the cam.

My car is tough to drive on the street so I'm told. I'm used to it but my wife can't even drive it. (that's a shame ;) ) My drivability issues are from other things, not the cam.

Its all good

I was only able to drive my car for about two months before it needed a rebuild but the cam was great. No problems as far as I was concerned and the lumpy idle was great.

Back