Has anyone replaced their ps rack?

joenintiesc

I am thinking about replacing mine. Is it better to go with a unit from Ford, or rebuilt unit from elsewhere? Any suggestions or experience?

Thanks!

it doesnt matter where you get it because even the ford ones are discontinued and you will get a remanufactured part from them also...i got one from carquest auto parts and i am pretty happy with it...it was remanufactured by cardone.

How much did it cost you, if you don't mind me asking?

Anthony, tell now what it is - can't wait a day and a half! :rolleyes:

couple q's

I have also been thinking about replacing my rack. How hard of a job is this to do in your drive way? Seems a bit intimidating to me. My car surges like mad when I brake and someone said that it is probably the end-links. All of the rotors/pads were replaced and that didn't help any. Does the new rack come with new end-links?

I replaced mine while I had the sub frame out of the car so I would'nt have to do it later with the sub frame in the car, cause that's just a general pain in the a$$. I got mine at auto zone, it cost @ $125 with a core charge. Mine didn't come with new end links, i jusr re-used the ones I had, they were in reasonable shape. To answer the guy who asked how hard it would be to do in the driveway, you might want to get someone to help you, and you might want to drop the sub frame first, it was a little easier that way. There are 6 or 8 t-18 or t-20 inverted torx bolts that bolt the sub frame to the main frame, and power steering lines to disconnect, but there is much less struggling with it out of the car.
Hope this helps

Danny

Back