Timing chain tensioner...

mn12sc35th

How can you get the timing chain tensioner back down so I can actually get the chain on? As of now the spring loaded deal is as far up as it can go causing the piece thats supposed to be against the chain to stick out too far.

If I remeber correctly, the chain has to be on the gears before you slide them over crank and cam. If that doesn't work then the tensioner is bound up somewhere.

you have to push the metal slidng block up with a screwdriver? while pushing up on the metal pin/plate in the center of that metal sliding block with the spring behind it.

The metal pin/plate that runs thru the block acts like a stop, it binds against the steel shaft to only allow it to move in one direction. When its all the way up slide in a nail or allen key in the hole to lock it into place. Once its installed remove the nail etc

Yes its much harder to do than figuring out what I just said:D

Go down to the FORD dealer and buy an new one for $15. It will already be all the way back ready to install. If you are on a budget that is so tight that you can't afford to replace the tensioner with the chain you need a different car.

lock back pin

There is a hole in the tensioner frame. Push back the tensioner spring and then put a pin through the hole. That will hold it back while you install the chain. When the chain is on, pull the pin and the tensioner will spring back towards the chain and create tension.

Back