underbody lights

Douglas Walker

To anyone how has or had underbody lights. Im getting ready to install my lights on my 89 sc. I was just wondering if anyone had some advise before I do it.

I disagree, I would do it but don't make it look ricey. There is always a classy way and then a trashy way!

I personally haven't done it but I'm sure it's not to hard at all. Just try to put them far enough back so that they aren't visible when standing next to the car (I've actually seen this!) looks like total **** if you do.

Good luck and show some pictures when its finished.

-Tim

make sure you use some type of sticky foam padding between the light and the body or else you will break them very quickly.

I have them mounted on my car, all I did was drill a few holes and they are hidden nicely. I will take pics tomorrow if I have time and post them for you on each location spot (mine are 36 and 48" tubes by the way)

While just slapping lights on can look bad. I think it's a nice way to set your car apart a little if you participate in some cruises up and down the streets.

I have them on my grandpa car, (mk VIII) installed myself.

Make sure you take the advise of putting some foam padding btwn them and whatever they're against. I'm sure 3M has something that will work great.

I actually had to fabricate some guards to hide the bulbs under the rocker panel, because there was no room behind the seam under the floor. (Car is lowered, sits 2" off ground)

I have a 36", 54" set. I put them on about a month ago, used them once. Now I just wonder why I wasted money on them. Even with that lenght of bulb, in order for it to look good they need to be alot longer, which won't fit. I hate how you can tell where the bulbs are by looking at the ground. Anybody want to buy a set of purple neons?

Make sure the bulbs can't be seen, and the light doesn't directly shine out past edges of car looking straight down, and the cops won't bother you. I spoke with several people who have them, and they all made that basic conclusion.

Some kits have plexi housing which protect the bulbs from impact. It may be useful to install one lengthwise bulb in the middle of the underside, rather than 2 on the edges.

that's not a bad idea Digi...

Maybe one on each side of the drive shaft.. That would definitely leave a nice effect. Just hate to have two shorter bulbs go to waste. But I think I'll remount them. I don't like how it stands out how it is, kind of a low key guy. Just like to have new toys to show off to the friends..

I accidentally hit a cat a few nights ago. (I'll remind you I'm literally about 2-3" off the ground) I didn't mean to, but it thought it could get across the road quick enough and I was doing around 80.. Anyways, I heard it,looked back, couldn't see anything with brake lights so I pulled over, opened door and put the top of my hat against the ground to see underndeath, and point is, with the neons, you can see everything, it's kind of nice, just not at that particular moment. Hair everywhere. Yummy.

1BADSC said:
Don't.. It's not a honda.

Typical "mullet sportin" domestic owner. Not ONLY Honda's have neon lights. Our cars have body kits stock, does that made us rice? LOL

Anyways, they're easy to install. I had them on my car for two months, but being lowered over 2" didn't fair well....they cracked one at a time. I had the front one located right under the rad, the two side ones attached to the rail down each side, tucked up under and the back one was up behind the gas tank. Took about an hour to install.

Here's a pic and guess what? It's not a Honda.

:D

neons1.gif

Took about an hour to install? Did you have the pit guys from some crew in Nascar install them or what?

lol..

took me about 2.5, then again, I had a buddy for company, who brought alcohol, alot of bullshitting, and alot of stop-and-go company. But still, I worked on them pretty consistently. Just slow is all. You must have very high metabolism and be on crank with a hydraulic car lift if it only took you an hour..

Where did you mount your toggle? I don't have them in my 'bird, of course it is engineless and trannyless at the moment, but in case I decide to take them off my grandpa car and put on each side of the drive shaft (good idea someone pointed out, thanks!) then I'm just curious where you mounted it.

Wait a min, are you SURE that's not a honda?

j/k...

Last edited:
I mounted the swicth on the bottom kick pannel, it's easy to reach down and click it on.

We did the install on a hoist, so it was much easier as we could stand, drill and mount with ease.

Back